10 September 2013

Comfort Food Season Will Soon Be Here Again with Over 100 Recipes




Fall is nipping at our toes and this invasion of our senses usually means the resurrection of comfort foods in the kitchen. Summers high temperatures are still lingering but one day soon these lazy days of summer will be only a distant memory. I personally can hardly control myself with thoughts jumping full force into my favourite season. It is not uncommon in late summer for my home to be filled with warm, fragrant and earthy aromas of a slow cooked roast or bubbling crock pot, but, there is absolutely NOTHING on the planet as comforting to me as the recipes you will find below. There's something very satisfying about making recipes from scratch in your own kitchen from start to finish; and using up all those bits and pieces in the refrigerator is just another bonus. 

No matter what evokes these feelings of comfort in each of us an ideal comfort food should "stick to the ribs," meaning it supplies a sense of fullness and satisfaction long after it is only just a memory.

When sick, or tired, or far from home, everyone seems to yearn for the gastronomic equivalent of a warm sweater, a kiss on the forehead or a favourite blanket. Comfort foods nourish the soul as well as our bodies. They tend to be foods that remind us of simpler times. They are familiar and often simple.  While an oven baked meatloaf with mashed potatoes, cheesy macaroni and cheese and a steaming cinnamon infused apple pie have been staples for many of us, for some of us comfort food may include a delicious gooey lasagna, a complex curry, earthy borscht or udon noodles.

I think we all deserve a warm, comforting dish. The rich flavours and warming textures of these dishes evoke memories of pure happiness.

Check out these 100 comfort food recipes. These are my favourites, maybe they will become yours too.















Three Cheese Spinach Bake in Filo

Cinnamon Streusel Topped Pumpkin Pie
Fallen Chocolate Cake with Cherry Red Wine Sauce
Apple Crumb Coffee Cakes
Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Walnut Topping
Lillians Banana Crater Cake
Olive Oil Pumpkin Cake with Toasted Pine Nuts
Marie-Hélène's Apple Cake
Winemakers Coronation Grape Cake
Buttermilk Carrot Cake
Ottolenghi's Apple and Olive Oil Cake with Maple Icing
Limoncello Buttermilk Mini Bundt Cakes with Limoncello Glaze and Whipped Cream

Moms Sugar Cookies
Sylvia Jurys Creme Brûlée
Chocolate Fondue
Medjool Date and Spiced Ricotta Strudel

French Canadian Pudding Chomeur 
Spiced Baked Apples with Maple Caramel Sauce
Scottish Tattie Scones
Maple Walnut Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Icing
Corn Pancakes with Balsamic Blueberry Sauce
Waffle Iron Shredded Hash Browns with Maple Glazed Bacon
Gingerbread Waffles with Apples and Cranberries
La Brea Bran Muffins

Sweet Potato Biscuits with Ham, Mustard and Honey
Butternut Squash Foccacia with Caramelized Onions
Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
Roasted Pumpkin Risotto Cakes with Tomato Sauce

Tartiflette
Colcannon Twice Stuffed Baked Potatoes
Stewed White Beans with Allspice and Clove
Comfort Chicken Stew
Lasagna Soup
Cheesy Hop Soup with Sheet Biscuits
Bon Appetit Grilled Cheese
Spaghetti Con Zucchine
Grilled Cheese




You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, enticing food Val, I feel comforted already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for comfort food! So many good recipes here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous food! So comforting and delicious.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. And, ending with grilled cheese. Perfect. What a great selection of delicious food. Time to get the comfy pants out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many mouthwatering choices, I just had to "pin" this post for future reference. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Val, I am in AWE!!! You went to so much work to compile this post, and the pictures are so inspiring. :-) You are a fantastic cook, my friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't know why everyone is in a rush to get to winter. With temperatures in the Okanagan in the low thirties for the next 5 days I'm still enjoying the comforts of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes summer is still here Suzan. Fall is my favourite time of year so I can't wait for cool autumn days and comfort foods.

      Delete
    2. I'm with you, fall is my favourite time of year! And I do love all the great soups and stews that come with the season. I bask in the vibrant colours and amazing light but I just prefer not to rush the seasons. Picky I know, but I can't help it. ...or I don't want to. :)

      Delete
  8. Had to Pin:) What a treasure trove..
    Lovely photos..and the beautiful face..(s) that popped up too.
    Thank you.Merci!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Val, what a great idea for a post. My head is spinning. What shall I try first? I can't wait to get back to my kitchen.

      Delete
  9. Great roundup of comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fall is my favorite season Val and love confort foods!! all these look awesome, we are in almost spring but still is cold so I still enjoy confort food!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my god I need a whisky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a collection of comforting and delicious foods. Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Val, you've got me craving Fall (this from a girl who usually hates to see summer go away.) It's so impressive to see so many of your delightful creations in album form.

    I agree with Sam, I would love to have one for each day of fall and winter... happy tummy! Thank you for sharing. ~m.
    P.S. Such pretty images of your beautiful and special people too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that's a whole lot of comfort … drool, drool, drool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great roundup of comfort food! I don't know where start they all look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my gosh, so many amazing ideas! I have never been more excited for fall. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the recipes. Thanks for the memories. I could name this post "100 Reasons Why I Love Your Blog".

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a treasure trove! I can only second the comment above from "The Short." Your site rocks.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.