15 January 2012

Apple Crumb Coffee Cakes for Slow Sundays





Good morning/afternoon ladies and gents..what a bunch of sleepy heads we are. Those of you who follow this blog know that I am a morning person and have already risen before the sunrise. I have already accomplished several things on my mental "to do" list and can now enjoy the rest of my day. A nice slow day of sitting in my pyjamas all day if I want to, or heading out for a new adventure. That is the beauty of a slow Sunday we can do whatever we like! Sunday is my only day to myself and as the day unfolds before us we can do whatever our heart desires.

We have Meatless Mondays, Wordless Wednesdays so today begins a new feature here on MTBT...Slow Sundays...well because a Sunday should be slow, no rushing around, no big errands, just taking our time and mozying along. My idea of enjoying a Sunday morning is to have a warm cup of tea and a long and lovingly prepared breakfast. This mornings breakfast included these little handheld bites to share with you with a cup of your favourite "joe" or as in my case a piping hot chai latte. 


These are versatile too! You can add everything from fresh blueberries to chocolate chips to these delicious crumb coffee cakes. Of course they are exceptional with the diced apple as well. Decadent and buttery and easy to prepare.You could even serve them warm with vanilla and cinnamon ice cream for dessert. But breakfast was just fine. I am off to enjoy another heartwarming morsel with my chai and curl up with a good cookbook. Won't you join me:D 






**Apple Crumb Coffee Cakes**
Food and Wine

Streusel
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  •  5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Crumb Cakes
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  •  1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  •  1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  •  3/4 cup sour cream
  •  1 large egg, beaten
  •  1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely diced


1. MAKE THE STREUSEL Preheat the oven to 350°. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle, combine the flour with the brown sugar and salt. Add the butter pieces and mix at medium-low speed until the mixture resembles coarse meal; continue mixing the streusel until very small clumps form. Transfer the streusel to a large plate and refrigerate until it is well chilled, about 10 minutes.


2. MAKE THE CRUMB CAKES Line 18 standard-size muffin cups with paper liners. Spray the liners with vegetable oil cooking spray. In the mixer bowl, combine the flour with the granulated sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add the butter pieces and beat at low speed until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the sour cream and beaten egg and beat until the batter is smooth. Add the diced apple and beat just until incorporated.


3. Fill the muffin cups halfway with the crumb cake batter. Press the streusel into clumps and sprinkle on top. Bake the crumb cakes in the center of the oven for about 30 minutes, until risen, golden and springy to the touch; rotate the pans halfway through baking. Let the crumb cakes cool slightly before serving. Make Ahead The crumb cakes can be made 1 day ahead and kept in an airtight container. Rewarm before serving.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

45 comments:

  1. I agree that Sundays should be slow. Nothing better than to curl up with a paper and cup of tea or coffee and let the day unfold ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are super slow over here. just got done with breakfast. it's really cold out and I'm ready for bed. LOL
    (too many pancakes I think).
    wonderful coffee cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slow Sunday here too Val! I'm still in my PJ's and don't intend to get out of them all day. I've made a loaf of banana bread and am enjoying the warm sweet baking odor coming from the kitchen. When it's cold outside who wants to get out in it when you can be cozy and warm with some nice treat warming your belly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, I love crumb topped cakes and muffins so much. These look delicious. The Slow Sunday concept is a great one - maybe I can partake when the toddler is a teenager. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OM Valli these are georgeous and tempting!Love absolutely !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I had slow Sunday on Saturday... I somehow watched 6 documentaries and avoided going out into the bitter cold. I should have got some baking done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A perfect dessert! Sundays are always slow over at my place...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect for any day; but i love your idea of Slow Sunday. It is bitter cold in my area so making this is great way to warm uo.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks heavenly and a nice treat on a Sunday. I am afraid I rise as late as Cooper will let me. We did have a lovely relaxed day though and Cooper made some rice krispie treats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Slow Sundays are my kinda thing Val!…bring them on! This is def a "comfort food" type of dessert! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. these look delicious and so perfect for a sunday afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would enjoy a slow Sunday, too! Your house must have smelled heavenly when you were baking this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, Sundays are my slow days. After church, there are no chores. Unless, of course, I'm baking. But, that's not a chore. I love crumb cakes. The sour cream sounds wonderful. Enjoy your day off, Val. You certainly earn them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A recipe perfect for Sundays! Yes, you would really enjoy her cheeses~hope you can get there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm I like this apple muffin topped with vanilla ice cream idea. Breakfast? I think yes. maybe after Slow Sundays should come IceCreamMondays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the idea of Slow Sundays! Now, if only I could find the time to slow down and enjoy one of these crumb cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious..Awesome Recipe

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel like we are never slow around here and we need to do a better job of that. My boys so often just want to stay home and play but we are so used to shuttling them off to various activities. We need more treats like these to make home more appealing for Randy and me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was much more of a morning person before the baby. Now I'm a "just an hour more-please!" person

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ton blog est Magnifique!! Bravo:)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful treat on a lazy Sunday morning. I'm an early riser too and accomplish most during the few hours before daylight.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love slow days too, Val. But mine is Monday. (I have a workout class on Sundays that is my favorite)That's my day to laze, laundry and cook.
    This looks a delight for slow Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Apple or chocolate chip! I just can't decide. Looks like perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  24. glorious muffins, val! the plop of cream is a great touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. HI Val, I JUST found your blog. I have no idea why I haven't found it before, it's wonderful. I'm also a Canadian (I'm in Vancouver) I look forward to scrolling through and reading your recipes! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My husband loves his Sundays and takes advantage of the day to relax, read and wait for my treats. This would be a really good one for him. Thanks Val.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I need a slow Sunday! My Sundays are anything but slow since I have to be up and at it early then drive 90 minutes to see my horses for the day. So little time to bake a breakfast treat (although I do wake up early enough to do so). I think you are sorely tempting me to change how Sundays operate in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  28. We all need a slow day...Just time to kick-back, rest and prepare ourselves for the day ahead. I love it! Sunday is the perfect day to start...

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the idea of Slow Sundays. Mine are rarely slow - but they really should be, and you definitely captured magic and mood in your photo - it felt so dreamy and slow.... and lush.
    YUM!
    :)
    V

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, to swoon over! Your blog makes me so hungry! I am following you immediately! Hello from a Sicilian Rome!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You're on to something Val. Love the idea of Slow Sundays. Years ago we adapted the idea of not spending any money on Sunday. We all need a day of rest in more ways than one.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sunday mornings are all about slowness here, too. Breakfast often turns into lunch, or lunch turns into aftrenoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love lazy sundays! remember the andy samburg song from snl?

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the idea of slow sundays and this apple crumb cake looks so good, a must try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  35. And in January - our slow Sundays are even slower. I grew up with coffee cake at my aunt's home each and every Sunday. Love this idea of a Sunday cake to much with the paper. The opening photo - it's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is my kind of breakfast - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love a slow Sundays in the winter too. What a delicious treat for a relaxing day

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looks delicious Val,and nice combo with chai.Perfect for your cold winter to warm up you soul.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This coffee cake is making my mouth water, looks delicious and I love the idea for so many possible variations! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your coffee cake sounds lovely, Val. I love the recipes from Food and Wine and have found them never to disappoint. I hope you enjoyed that slow Sunday. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  41. Val, these muffins look great for any day and the recipe is added to my list to try. I rise very early also, love early morning before sunrise with a cup or two of coffee and a muffin like this!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love a slow Sunday! And, I'd love to start the day with these. The apple chunks and the crumb topping look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love reading your blog and admiring your baking.

    They all look and seem very heart-warming.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Yum, I am looking forward to these Slow Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Yum. That looks so good. I am craving something sweet and now want one of these....with the whipped cream on top.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.