7 May 2010

Eggs Benedict My Way for Mothers Day...with Crab Cakes and Avgolemono


Crab Cakes Eggs Benedict with Avgolemono Sauce

Often it seems that life is flying by. The one thing I remember my mom saying is to enjoy life as it comes because one day you will look behind you at 40 and wonder what happened. "Don't rush it', she would say as I longed to grow up. Living in the moment is a good philosophy to have. Mom's are smart that way. After all I am a mom too:D


This coming Sunday we will be celebrating our moms and all of the special women in our life. I know that food will come into play sometime during the celebrations. My own mom is thousands of kilometers away so I am sharing a phone call on Mother's Day. If she were here I would love to make her my version of Eggs Benedict. It oozes decadence with citrus flavoured crab cakes, topped with the mandatory poached egg and the perfect substitution of a Greek, lemony avgolemono sauce in place of the heavier hollandaise.

I can't think of a better way to celebrate mom than with a decadent savoury dish. Mom will appreciate this on her brunch menu and you will appreciate how easily it comes together. You can even make the crab cakes the night before. The avgolemono sauce is a breeze to prepare and there is less chance of error than with hollandaise. I prefer it, so that is why it shows up here with it's creamy texture and delicate lemon flavour. To make avgolemono you need stock. Usually it is made with the stock from what you are preparing, but you can use chicken stock or in this case seafood stock if you have it.

While we may not be able to slow the pace during the workweek, we can find respite in a weekend brunch and celebrate with mom. A leisurely, casual meal with family and friends on Saturday or Sunday can renew our spirit. It is almost as good as a weekend at your favourite retreat with mom. I am trying to help you out here ladies!!!

L'il Burnt Toast and I celebrated Mother's Day early with a luncheon at a local winery since she will be back at university. For the last 10 days it has been the Spring Wine Festival here in the Okanagan and we celebrated in style. But...more about that later.

In the meantime enjoy my version of Eggs Benedict, a decadent and savoury treat for the special women in your life.



**Crab Cake Eggs Benedict with Avgolemono Sauce**

8(4-8) large eggs
1 teaspoon(5ml)white vinegar
4 English muffins
4 citrus crab cakes (see recipe below)
Avgolemono Sauce (recipe below)

In a large saucepan of simmering water, add 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of white vinegar. Add eggs and poach to desired doneness.

Toast and butter english muffins. Place crab cake onto toasted muffin half. Remove and drain poached eggs on a towel and place onto crab cake.

Top with warm avgolemono sauce and serve immediately.

Citrus Crab Cakes

2 tablespoons(30ml)butter
1shallot, finely chopped
1clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon(1ml)dried thyme
1cup(250ml)Japanese panko breadcrumbs
1/3cup(83ml)low fat mayonnaise
3/4 teaspoon(4ml)each lemon zest, finely grated and lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon (3ml)hot chili sauce
1 cup(250ml)crabmeat, moisture removed
3 tablespoons(45ml)green onions or chives, finely chopped
1egg, lightly beaten
1teaspoon (5ml)Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C). In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat and sauté shallot, garlic and thyme until fragrant.

Add bread crumbs and stir often until light golden. Transfer to shallow dish. In a bowl, mix together mayonnaise, citrus zest and juice and chili sauce.

Add crabmeat, green onions, egg and mustard to mayonnaise mixture and stir. Season to taste.

Using about 4 tbsp (60 ml) of the mixture, make 1/2 in (1 cm) thick patties. Press lightly into bread crumb mixture, coating all sides.

Place cakes on parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, turning once, or until crisp and golden.

Avgolemono Sauce

2-3 eggs, separated
1 tablespoon (15 mL) of water
juice of 2-3 lemons
broth from the dish being cooked (or hot beef or chicken broth or stock)

Beat the egg whites until foamy. Beat in egg yolks, water, lemon juice, and 2-3 ladlesful of heated broth, a little at a time, beating (or whisking) continuously. The sauce will thicken and when it coats the spoon it is ready. Cover with a towel for a few minutes and serve.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Content must be credited to this author. Best Blogger Tips

22 comments:

  1. Val, what a lovely Mother's Day brunch you've created. It's fit for a Queen, which is what all of our moms are. Do take her advice and enjoy life as it comes. The last time I saw forty was on a speedometer - so enjoy each day.

    Hope you have a great Mother's Day.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not 40 either Sam, but vanity prevents me from admitting my age:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You say this so well!
    ummm ... does that mean I have no vanity, because I'm happy to tell you I'm 65 just a few more months.
    My mom & I would love this, wish she were still here that I could make it for us. Hollandaise has just never done it for me but this looks beautiful and lemon is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband would utterly adore this. Nice twist on a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val, that's a very well executed Avgolemono and a wonderful Mother's Day offering.

    Carpe diem and Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh VallI!! I am SO making these!@! Happy Mother's Day dear friend!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would make a great brunch for me this weekend!

    Nisrine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look fantastic! A wonderful idea!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vall, may I go your home?? I ove crab cakes absolutely and these look awesome, Have a very nice Mom's day!! hugsss, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks yummy. Happy Mother's Day. Hope you get to spend it with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so perfect for Mother's Day Brunch. I know my mum would adore it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the sound of this benedict - especially with the avgolemono!

    ReplyDelete
  13. AnonymousMay 07, 2010

    What a wonderful Mother's day brunch this would make! The crab cakes, and the eggs, and that sauce - everything is just heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Avgolemono sauce! Anything lemony is for me. And Brunch - a very North American thing and we used to love it.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is the fanciest version of eggs benedict that i've ever seen--it's an excellent way to pamper the ladies who brought us into this world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. happy mothers day to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Mother's day. That looks a treat, worth of any mom!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vall Happy Moms day, have a beauty day, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look fantastic. Great way to make the calories count.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy MOther's Day, I think eggs benedcite is perfect for the celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't made crab cakes or salmon cakes in a minute. I will have to ry this recipe.

    Peace, Love and Chocolate
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.