14 October 2007

Lillian's Banana Crater Cake

Lillians' Banana Crater Cake
Today is my friend Lillian's birthday. In honour of her special day I have made her Crater Cake recipe. Her banana cake recipe has been my favourite way to use up all those "dead" bananas for years! My freezer has been accumulating little frozen banana torpedoes for months now...so this means war! Time to take action!



I don't know where the recipe originated, but she had made it on the prairies of Saskatchewan for years. It is one of those recipes that has been passed from household to household and shows up in recipe boxes across the country.

It has layers of cinnamon and brown sugar streusel studded with chocolate. I am guessing the reason it is called crater cake is because the chocolate chips on top look like craters of the moon.

Now, if you try the recipe then it will be known the world over!!

I know I should be sleeping in on this lazy Sunday morning, but, here it is 10:30 and I have already baked Crater Crake and a dozen Harvey Wallbanger Cupcakes. Lunch is at the Cactus Club, so, off I go to get ready to meet the birthday girl....


**Lillian's Crater Cake**

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 ripe bananas (mashed)
3 cups flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 cups milk chocolate chips

Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until smooth. Add vanilla and bananas. Mix well till smooth. Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to banana mixture alternately with sour cream, ending with dry ingredients. Pour half of the batter into 9 x 13-inch pan.

Combine cinnamon and brown sugar. Sprinkle 1/2 of this mixture over batter in pan. Top with 1/2 of the chocolate chips. Repeat layers.

Bake in 350F oven for 45 - 50 minutes.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

12 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks good! I love the presentation, I guess Autumn is rolling around there fast too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valli, oh how wonderful this cake sounds. I've been wanting to bake a banana cake, but not the usual banana bread...and this sounds so decadent with the streusel AND the chocolate to go with the bananas. And Harvey Wallbanger cupcakes?! I'm guessing that the birthday girl will be absolutely delighted with her party treats! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good! Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Holler, autumn is roling in fast!! We are lucky to be having a stretch of Indian Summer at the moment so it is about 18C. Perfect fall days, sunny and cool. Perfect for swishing through the leaves!!!
    Yes Lillian was very appreciative of her cakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the name of that cake! Looks great too! Now I want the recipe to the Harvey Wallbanger cupcakes! That was one of the first "mixed drinks" I ever had, many, many years ago! Whew, did that bring back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The recipe for Harvey Wallbanger Cake is coming in the next post. I couldn't mention it and not put it in. My first drink I ever had was a Screwdriver.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh does that look good! I love bananas in anything so I know this would be right up my alley. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My, oh my. This is comfort dessert at its best! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow !This cake looks amazing.This is a kind of cake that I like. Thanks for share

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great cake! It seems sour cream is a great way to achieve moistness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Valli, I find delicious this recipe, really, we always have died bananas, you know, looks delicious Gloria

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.