18 August 2013

Attack of the Killer Summer Tomatoes



Every day we should be excited about what we are eating even if it just means something as simple as making use of a wonderful find at our local farmers market. Wineries, craft breweries and artisanal cheese makers are emerging and adding a new dimension to our local cuisine, enriching it and extending it well beyond it's traditionial boundaries. West coast salmon, New Brunswick lobster, Ontario cheddar are all being paired with wonderful Canadian wines and locally harvested fruits and vegetables. Foodies are in heaven and locavores are finally coming into their own. 

With farmers markets popping up everywhere during the summer, it's never been easier to make the right choices. The added benefit is that items are picked closer to their peak of freshness, enhancing taste, texture, and nutrition, and have had less time to spoil increasing shelf life in your kitchen.When you eat locally, you eat what's in season.  You'll remember that strawberries are the taste of summer and that juicy,  ruby red tomatoes are what we long for all year. Summer tomatoes are packed with sunshine. Here are a few of my recipes to bring a sunny smile to your face.



You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

16 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea..our own tomato recipe book:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, you could start a series - zucchini from a few days ago and now tomatoes. As a big lover of tomatoes, I want one of each. We had fried green tomatoes for breakfast this morning, I'm off to check out that recipe.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic idea. You have a book in the making. One, I might add, that would certainly have wonderful recipes. Have a great weekend, Val. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. incredibly mouthwatering! Fresh tomatoes are simply fabulous and ever so versatile.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, nice recipe. The brie has my heart though!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love tomatos and brie I want some tomatos like these right now!!
    (I have to wait for summer:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I welcome your post! I greatly overdid the tomatoes (is that possible) at Saturday's farmers' market.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to sit down and eat each one of these after the other! Tomato FEAST!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being a fan of MTBT, I remember most of these dishes and I'm drooling as if I'm seeing them for the first time. Tomato may just be the perfect food. I eat them every day in some way. In fact, this morning I had a slice of a delicious Jersey tomato on a toasted English Muffin with a fried egg on top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect idea! The weather has been so crazy and cool here, but the fresh veggies and fruit have been great and I love all these tomato dishes, especially the chicken with tomato jam.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Farm markets and fresh tomatoes are some of the best pleasures of summer. Thanks for the walk down memory lane. Now I have a hundred other things I want to do with tomatoes. I hope I can do them all before the season ends!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Val, my mouth is watering just looking at your photos. I have never grilled brie before. What a great idea. My son is home this week for a couple of days. I think this will be on the menu. Thank you.

    ~Ann+

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're lucky enough to have farmer's markets year round - I certainly can take advantage of fresh produce!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look at all of these delicious tomato dishes! What a great post and great timing! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great roundup of recipes - so many of them have me drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have more tomatoes on my counter than I know what to do with. Well, now I do :) What a wonderful collection!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.