- 1 lb vine-ripened tomatoes (assorted sizes or whatever makes you happy)
- 3 oz goat cheese (feel free to substitute fresh mozzarella or any cheese you like)
- basil oil (recipe follows)
- balsamic syrup (recipe follows)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut the tomatoes and arrange in the centre of 4 plates. Sprinkle with crumbled cheese or layer cheese with the tomatoes if you use cheeses that slice. Drizzle with basil oil, balsamic syrup, and season with salt and pepper.
- 3 dozen fresh basil leaves, more or less
- saucepan of boiling, salted water
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar (use the cheap stuff)
1. Simmer the balsamic vinegar in a saucepan until reduced to 1/2 cup. (about 30 minutes).