20 May 2015

Spring Salad from Ottolenghi


Spring is all about alfresco dining, sun-drenched days, and quality time with friends. When I first started learning to cook in my home kitchen, one of the initial things I discovered was that the key to outstanding meals was using good quality ingredients. As time passed I realized that this meant either growing or purchasing the best local ingredients available which with today's trends has become easier and easier with a resurgence of farmers markets, specialty food shops and local producers.

What has taken me years to understand is that recipes are merely guidelines and are open to any interpretation. I used to follow recipes to the letter and they always turned out well, but as the years progressed, and I have become confident in the kitchen, I am more open to experimentation and substitution. 


Green is the colour of the season, so make the most of it in this vibrant salad. A monochromatic salad has you looking a little deeper to find out what's in there. This is such an easy salad to make "your own." I used local crisp asparagus, spring onions, young garlic, and sugar snap peas…oops…I forgot to add the spinach before the photo. I was that excited. I also added some lemon zest as well as the juice of 1 lemon. You can add anything that suits your fancy such as watercress, samphire, peas, or  a myriad of lettuces. It is limited only by your imagination.

A very simple and light dressing allows the fresh, vibrant flavours of the seasonal produce stand alone. Ottolenghi is a master.

**Spring Salad**

300g asparagus, trimmed and sliced on a sharp angle into 3-4 thin spears
200g french beans, topped
300g broad beans (fresh or frozen)
50g baby spinach leaves
1 shallot, peeled and very thinly sliced
1 red chilli, finely diced
½ tsp sesame oil
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
1 teaspoon nigella seeds
Salt

For instructions please visit Ottolenghi. 

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

11 comments:

  1. A fabulous and refined salad!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's that pinch of red (chile) that makes all this green sparkle. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green for sure, it's a pretty salad, Val! This is definitely unique with all the good veggies, sounds delicious! I agree with being adventurous with the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ottolenghi is just all the rage right now, and for good reason! this looks super tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to the salad - but with the snap peas, not the green beans.... I won't have green beans for another 2 months LOL. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty.It is so green here at last..that salad would fit right in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, this sounds so good, Val. I love green beans and the dressing for this sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been doing more salads of the unusual kind lately. This works for me Val. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great salad! YO nails fresh vegetables nine times out of ten ... I have fallen for his approach to food !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful salad, I love Otto0lenghi's recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks good Val. Can't go wrong with Ottolenghi. I see all kinds of possibilities with this salad.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.