27 October 2014

Jack Frost Nipping at Your Nose…Fight Back With Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Okay. I finally admit it to myself. Working 6 days a week and having a personal trainer to gain strength has finally taken its toll on my valued time in the kitchen, reading blogs and blogging in general. It has been hard for me to create a healthy balance and most often I am cooking quick and non-blogworthy dishes or picking up take out (even if it is healthy). For shame. Now that we open the curtains on another season I find myself asking did I have enough creative time in the kitchen, visit the farmers market enough, or spent enough time with friends and family? Maybe not, but I am enroute to a healthier lifestyle and balance may happen gradually. But am I ready to move forward? Of course and with a permanent smile on my face.

Autumn has been bombarding all of our senses. The bright kaleidoscope of autumn leaves, the nip in the air, the sound of flocks of geese moving on will soon give way to frosty nights and scatterings of snow. You can feel the changes at night as we cannot escape winter unless we move to sunnier climates. As the sun sets, a cool blanket of air gently rolls down the hill and a light mist arises. 

It is not uncommon in winter for my home to be filled with warm, fragrant and earthy aromas of a slow cooked roast or bubbling crock pot, but, there is absolutely NOTHING on the planet as comforting to me as a soup bubbling on the stove top.  There's something very satisfying about making recipes from scratch in your own kitchen from start to finish; and using up all those bits and pieces in the refrigerator is just another bonus or creating a heartwarming soup.

I have seen this particular soup in many different places all over the Internet, but in true More Than Burnt Fashion I made it my own. All the flavours of a loaded baked potato come together beautifully in this satisfying, creamy, and comforting soup. 

You may also enjoy these other potato soups from my kitchen

Chunky Potato and Swiss Chowder 
Garlic Leek Soup with Garlic Chips and Chives
Roasted Garlic, Leek and Fennel Soup with a Puff Pastry Top Hat
Colcannon Soup with Irish Soda Bread
Garlic Soup Provencal


**Loaded Baked Potato Soup** 
from the kitchen of More Than Burnt Toast

4 - 6 slices bacon
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
5 cups chicken broth
3 - 4 medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups 1 % milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
1 1/2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
2 scallions, sliced

In a skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crispy; drain on paper towels. Chop bacon; set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.

Cook onion in bacon drippings over medium-high heat 6 minutes or until almost tender. During last minute of cooking add chopped garlic.

In 6-quart Dutch oven, add cooked onion and garlic, chicken broth and potatoes. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. With a slotted spoon remove 1/2 of the potatoes and set aside. For the remaining soup in the pot, with an immersion blender blitz the soup mixture until creamy and smooth.

Meanwhile, in same skillet, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour with whisk until smooth. Cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually stir in 2 cups of milk. Pour milk mixture into potato mixture, add the salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add salt and pepper to taste depending on the saltiness of the chicken stock.

Stir in the sour cream or yogurt, 1 cup of the Cheddar cheese. Add the reserved potatoes back into the soup. Cook until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted.

In individual bowls evenly top servings with chopped bacon, and sprinklings of shredded Cheddar cheese and green onions.

 
You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.


Best Blogger Tips

15 comments:

  1. Dear Valli, This is my kind of meal. I love the soup and the sandwich. Delicious to warm up with in this chilly autumn air. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fall dishes are so delicious and comforting and so is this wonderful soup!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soup does not get any more ideal than this!!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like autumn is in full swing up your way. There's nothing more comforting that a good bowl of soup and your loaded baked potato soup fills the bill.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very comforting dish to warm us this fall and winter. I love potato soups and your version of loaded potato sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you haven't had enough kitchen time, but this looks great. Now it's still 80 here, so I'll save it for next month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what you have here is my husbands favorite foods of all (plus steak)
    ham & cheese and loaded potato anything really lol
    I need to get into soup making mode soon. I hate winter, did I tell you that? lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. No Jack Frost here. But we may get some much needed rain tonight. Keep your fingers crossed. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cool air is just arriving and I am giddy! Cheers to you for your healthy journey. I of ten feel a little out of balance with the lack of time. Like you, I enjoy the nesting time in my kitchen and I know it, when it is lacking.

    Thanks for sharing this great cool weather soup.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's definitely fall where I live and I'm craving a big pot of soup. Nothing says warm tummy and comfort food more than potatoes and cheese. I love this kind of meal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At this time of year, I make the rounds of my fave blogs looking for additions to my 'must make' soup list for the winter ... this looks like one of the first to make this year's list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. For mysel I have not been visiting blogs as I usually do. I still need to make time just for the inspiration to keep in sharing.

      Delete
  12. My favourite veggie now in soup. Thanks Val.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.