13 August 2013

Twenty Four Delicious Ways with Zucchini to Celebrate Summer

I am sure that by now, if you don't have a garden of your own, your neighbours are stealing into your yard in the wee hours of the morning and leaving care packages of zucchini on your porch. Or perhaps you are covertly picking the locks of your neighbours cars and leaving them in their baby car seats.


If this sounds all too true you have hit the mother load!!! People seem to have a love/hate relationship with this prolific summer squash. I am a lover of zucchini so am always looking for new ways to highlight it's delicate flavour. This squash truly shines by mid-summer. As a home cook, I'm partial to the sweet, young version, whose delicate, creamy flesh lends itself well to both raw and cooked dishes. I avoid the large, mature zucchini that haunt the stalls at many markets in late summer which have waterlogged, fibrous bodies and bitter seeds. 

You know it had to happen when being overrun with copious amounts of zucchini that a round up of recipes using zucchini would spring from these pages. If you are going to celebrate summer then your neighbours might not be upset if you leave one of these delicious dishes on their porch instead.



Kolokithanthi Gemisti, Tiganiti" (Fried Zucchini Blossoms with Feta and Mint)
Crisp Zucchini Ricotta Tart with Tomato Salad,
 
Baked Vegetable Spaghetti, 

Orzo Risotto with Zucchini, Dill and Feta 
Crustless Zucchini Pie, 
Kolokythokeftedes (Zucchini Balls),
 Zucchini Pesto Lasagna,
 
Potato-Zucchini Skillet Pancakes with Tomato Salad
Zucchini Blossom Risotto with Prosecco,
 Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Feta and Mint, 
 Patty Melt with Zucchini Coleslaw, 
Zucchini Risotto with Saffron and Shrimp
Potato  and Zucchini Latke Waffles,
 
Penne with Zucchini Pistou,
 
Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes with Basil Infused Mascarpone Icing

Zucchini Olive Oil Cake

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

19 comments:

  1. Mouthwatering recipes! Those are marvelous dishes.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a selection..Thanks so much..
    Valerie..don't know why but I just noticed your photo on the sidebar..How pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are zucchini lovers here and I'm zeroing in on the skillet pancakes with tomato salad to tempt our taste buds.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great collection of delicious recipes and beautiful pictures. You have been cooking a lot of zucchini over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the best collection of zucchini recipes I've seen. So many zucchini recipes are desserts and loaded with sugar. This makes me want to rush to the farmer's market and buy everything they have, unless of course I happen to have a generous neighbor or two with a garden. Great choice for the first one Val. I would start with the roesti too.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely a lover of squash - both summer and winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, you've sure eaten a lot of zucchini. I do too. Wonderful collection. I love every single one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing array of delicious recipes Val! Now which one would I choose to prepare first . . . too difficult to decide!

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's not my favorite veg, but I find it can be quite palatable with the right recipe. You have a lot of right recipes here! I am working on a zucchini recipe of my own this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't get enough of zucchini right now! These are some awesome ideas to use it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I wish I had a garden or access to a bounty of squash to make 1/10th of the goodies you've compiled here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! These lovely photos of amazing dishes are making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i foolishly made to decision not to grow courgettes this year as last year we had such a bad time of it. We chose to grow cucumber instead and they're doing so well I now feel we should have gone for courgettes too!... arrrggghhh!... and now with all you stunning recipes I feel even more the fool!... oh well, i'll have to go 'forage' at the neighbours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy cow! Have you ever an incredible collection of zucchini recipes, Val! It IS zucchini season. You don't miss a beat!
    :)
    V

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like I hit the jackpot, I can see that you stay very busy with your zucchini! A wonderful collection!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh, Val! So much deliciousness! I could meal on those latke/waffles right now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My old neighbor would leave bags of produce for me on my fence - I miss that! Great collection of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an outstanding roundup of zucchini recipes...well done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had to laugh at leaving the zucchini in the kids' car seats - LOL! I picked the first two zucchini off of my plants this week so I'm thrilled to have some favorite and new ideas to use.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.