19 March 2013

Crespelle with Sweet Ricotta and Italian Amarena Cherries Perfect for Brunch

Crespelle with Sweet Ricotta and Amarena Cherries

These luscious and intensely flavourful cherries from the province of Emilia-Romagna are one of the most sought after all over Europe. The Fabbri family has been producing these luxurious wild cherries in syrup since 1905 from the guarded original recipe of founder Gennaro Fabbri. The local wild cherries which are a dark red variety with a sweet and slightly bitter flavour are preserved in a rich syrup made from the juice of the same fruit with a slight almond flavour. Amarena cherries are not inexpensive so when I had some leftover from making panna cotta I searched for a tasty way to use them. Enter these Italian style crepes based on a recipe from Taste.com the Australia version.




**Crespelle with Sweet Ricotta and Amarena Cherries** 

500g fresh full-fat ricotta, drained
1/2 cup (75g) icing sugar
60g dark chocolate, finely chopped, plus grated chocolate to serve
1 teaspoon grated lemon or orange zest
200g jar Amarena Fabbri cherries
2 teaspoon arrowroot (Arrowroot can be exchanged with cornstarch but it does create a clearer sauce)

Crespelle (crepes)

1 cup (150g) plain flour

300ml(approximately 1-1/4 cups) milk
1 large (70g) egg
55g (1/4 cup/1/2 a stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to brush
2 tablespoons grappa (optional)

For crespelle, whiz flour, milk and egg in a processor or blender until smooth. Add butter, and grappa if using, then process to combine. Transfer to a jug, then cover and stand for 30 minutes at room temperature.

Pass ricotta through a sieve into a bowl. Stir in icing sugar, chocolate and zest. Cover and chill until needed.

Drain cherries, reserving juice. Mix 1 tablespoon juice and arrowroot in a bowl, stir until smooth, then place in a pan with remaining juice and stir over low heat for 1-2 minutes to thicken. Add cherries, then set aside.

Brush base of a 20cm non-stick crepe pan or frypan with a paper towel dipped in extra butter. Heat over medium heat, then pour 2 tablespoons batter into the pan, tilting to coat base (pour any excess back into jug). Cook 1 minute or until golden, then flip and cook other for just under 1 minute until golden. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat to make 12 crespelle.

To serve, place 1 heaped tablespoon of ricotta mixture in the centre of each crepe, then fold in sides to form square parcels. Place 2 crespelle on each plate, top with cherries and dust with chocolate.

Serves 6

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

21 comments:

  1. An exquisite dessert! Simply irresistible.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. En Vigo, Galicia, de momento no tenemos cerezas, aún falta un poco para que lleguen y si, me parece una delicia de postre! verdad que son ricas?
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do not even have blossoms yet Elena, these are from a jar....
      Google Translation, "In Vigo, Galicia, we currently have no cherries, there is still a bit to arrive and if I seem a delight for dessert! True, they are rich?"
      kisses

      Delete
  3. Hello - this is my first visit to your beautiful site. It is indeed, just as your name states, more than burnt toast! I have come from Marie of Proud Italian Cook, and I am so glad I did. What a wonderful dessert! Crespelle are so versatile, and Amarena cherries are one of nature's gifts. What a wonderful pairing! Thank you and complimenti!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to keep an eye out at our Italian grocer's for those cherries..Bellissima!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are SO up my alley. I made a savory Mario Batali recipe for crespelles a long time ago, and I was in heaven. I have been dying to make a sweet one ever since. Love this ricotta-cherry combo. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect dessert or indulgent breakfast. Whether it's manicotti, crepes, crespelle,or blintzes,things are always awesome wrapped in a pancake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay so...first of all, I need those cherries in my life. Second of all - this is pretty much the breakfast of my dreams!

      Delete
  7. Oh my you did an amazing dessert. I would share this with you and a dessert wine :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear this look amazing always I love cherrries and love the color.of your plate tres belle:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this Val especially the ricotta:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cherries are my favorite- I'd love these for breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. the last great crepe i had was savory, but this reminds me of how much i love the sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cherries and chocolate - always a winner.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to taste those lovely cherries from Italy! Oh my, they sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. my stars Val you make the most interesting recipes and combinations.
    i wish we lived closer.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so pretty and sounds like a delicious combination!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Val, that is perfection on a plate.
    (and what a lovely plate, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, I wanted to grab it through the screen!!! It looks soooooo good and I'm so hungry now that lunch time is getting near :)
    The pictures are fabulous Val!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Craving cherries in dessert like this! YUM!! What a beautiful dessert!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a jar of those amarena cherries in my fridge and ricotta too. I think I know what I'm making today.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.