12 June 2014

French Potato Salad Perfect for Summer Picnics


French Potato Salad
Oooh la la!! This simple potato salad from Canadian Laura Calder is a must for those summer picnics.






**French Potato Salad**
based on a recipe from Laura Calder

4 pounds/2 kg Yukon gold or Charlotte potatoes
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup/125 ml white wine
2 pink shallots or red scallions, sliced into very thin rings
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
A couple of handfuls torn fresh tarragon leaves, chives, dill, parsley, or other herbs
2 teaspoons grainy mustard
1/4 cup/60 ml grapeseed or olive oil

Put the potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water. Salt, then bring to a boil, and cook until tender. The time required will depend on the size of the potatoes. When they are fork tender, drain, peel, and slice into a bowl. Pour the white wine over the potatoes and mix until absorbed.

While the potatoes cook, put the shallots into a small bowl and pour over the red wine vinegar. Leave to macerate 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly. Add the shallots, herbs, and chives to the potatoes.

Stir the mustard into the oil, and pour over the potatoes. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Toss, and serve.



You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

24 comments:

  1. This is one of my absolutely favorite salads. I'm glad to have Laurie Calder's recipe. I miss her television show, but we still enjoy the re-runs. I always leaned something from every episode. Such a refreshing treat from the "game" food shows.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all hope that Laura would return to television. Forget all the reality cooking shows and angst and bring back the classics.

      Delete
  2. I just adore Laura...unfortunately her shows are old on the Cooking Channel. I wish she would do more. This is a grey salad...I think i will be buying a few of her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura is not on our Food Network any longer either Norma, giving way to reality TV.

      Delete
  3. This salad look absolutely delicious VaL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so good! As do the peony and chive blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a nice presentation and very Spring-like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scrumptious! I love potato salads like this one.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of the way my mum prepares potato salad, she uses vinegar as well. Yet the recipe is slightly different, in fact I've never cooked the shallots in red wine vinegar. It must taste great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With every recipe we enjoy there is something to learn Daniela.

      Delete
  8. Such a pretty salad! I love the colors. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks wonderful, I love that it has no mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see from the comments above that I am not the only Laura Calder fan. I wish they'd bring this kind of show back. The salad looks so beautiful Val. The peonies as well, mine are gone already. It was fun to go to the market together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always fun to go to the market Dina. Imagine us in the markets in Paris or Florence. Would we ever leave:D

      Delete
  11. I love homemade potato salad in the summer Val. Yours looks delicious for any gatherings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, la la, for sure! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, this looks like a wonderful version of our favorite potato salad, on the lighter side without any mayo. Lots of flavor here with fresh herbs from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful potato salad I don't think I've ever seen a red scallion before - how pretty they are! This sounds light and perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the ingredients make this delicious, but those simple flower petals make it look absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the pic--great colors and props. And love no-mayo potato salads.

    ReplyDelete
  17. incredibly pretty and such a great alternative to all that heavy mayo. Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Laura Calder. I made her apple tart and it is probably the best thing I have ever made. I make potato salad much like this but have not used tarragon. I can't wait to give this a try. Your blog has some yummy food here.

    Madonna
    MakeMineLemon

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.