13 July 2013

Dill and Fennel Frond Potato Salad#TheSaladBar

Dill and Fennel Potato Salad
Recently I joined a group on Facebook that meets once a month to create salads based on a theme that is headed by Wendy of The Weekend Gourmet . One thing I need more in my life are salads so I am more than happy to join a group that celebrates and glorifies a food group that should be my middle name. This months theme is 'Pot Luck'. No good get together is complete without at least one potato salad. They come in all shapes and sizes.

Dill and fennel become fast friends in this light and easy salad that is based on a recipe from Food 52. Potatoes provide the perfect backdrop for the mayonnaise based dressing which is complemented with the tang of sour cream or even yogurt. Add some refreshing dill from the garden which elevates the cool anise-like fennel. Add in celery for a bit of crunch, the pop of fresh garden peas and you have a pot-luck-worthy salad. Mine was served with a twist on a lobster roll with the delicate flavour of fennel and orange. There seems to be a theme going on here...

**Dill and Fennel Frond Potato Salad**

6 large redskin potatoes
1/2 - 1 cup garden fresh peas
3/4 cups good quality mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
2 tablespoons minced fennel fronds
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill weed
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup celery, diced small ( I used fennel, diced)
3 green onions, thinly sliced
Additional mayonnaise if needed
Additional salt and pepper to taste

Steam or boil the potatoes in their jackets in water until fork tender. This could take between 15 and 20 minutes, depending on potato size. While the potatoes are cooking, make the dressing by combining the mayo, sour cream, fennel fronds, dill, lemon juice, salt, pepper and milk. Set aside or refrigerate.

A few moments before potatoes are done add garden peas to the boiling water. When the potatoes are done, drain potatoes and peas in a colander and then while still warm but cool enough to handle cut them in small chunks and place in a large mixing bowl. Gently stir in the celery and green onion and then start stirring in the dressing a little at a time.

Depending on your potatoes you may not need all of the dressing. You want a nice creamy consistency. If it's too dry, stir in a little more mayonnaise. Refrigerate for at least a few hours and when ready to serve, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to suit your taste.

Serves 6




You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

26 comments:

  1. I have never tried using sour cream or plain yogurt in my potato salad. I am sure this would lighten the salad up. I will have to give it a try.

    I received some fennel from our CSA the other day and was not sure what to do with it. Now I have an great recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of Fennel! Beautiful salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fennel...it's my favorite food discovery of 2013 so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love dill but have never used fennel fronds before. Sounds like a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect! I just got fennel and dill in my CSA this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this salad Val look amazing!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, great minds think alike, we both went for potato, dill, and lemon in our Salad Bar potluck dish this month. I like the interesting ingredients of the fresh fennel and garden peas. I love the sense of place in your blog. I've been to the Washington side of the Okanagon, it's beautiful, I hope to get to your neck of the woods someday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds wonderful. Love the idea of fennel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good. It seems I never have enough recipes with dill though I love it. And fennel is a wonderful surprise addition, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the recipe idea for this salad and will definitely be making it. Can never have too many ideas for a yummy summer potato salad!:)
    V

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great choice for the salad bar, Val. I have some dill in my backyard, and this has inspired me for some good potato salad.I noticed the sour cream and I think I also add in some chives (since I have a ton in garden). No summer is complete if there isn't potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you about fennel, Val. Your potato salad looks delicious (at first glance reminded me of champ); the addition of dill is just right. One gets so tired of the commonplace potato salads we usually see on the picnic table. This is unusual and looks so flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a summer classic. One I should include in my next BBQ. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aren't potato salads the best vehicle to creating new mix in's and flavors?
    I wish I could eat this but I'm being good for a while.
    Pasta and potato salads are my weakness, as is devils food cake.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dill and potatoes are pretty much best friends. Great looking salad!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great combination of flavors in this potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very satisfying potato salad. I like to use fennel front to dress up the salad.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a fun group to join. I can never get enough of potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhh, this sounds so good, Val! :-) I love fennel and dill so much, and the addition of peas is brilliant. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You can never have too many salads! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. AnonymousJuly 18, 2013

    I think this is an amazing idea! I made this go to with salmon and I feel like the dressing on the potato salad is just like the aioli I sometimes makes with salmon. A perfect pairing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adore the subtle flavour of fennel fronds ... with the smooth potato salad, it must be terrific! Alas, SB is picky and doesn't care for fennel in any manifestation ...ergo ... this will be a pot-luck picnic bowl for me. I can have it and SB can graze the other offerings! Thanks, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful summer salad. Dill and fennel are natural partners with the potatoes.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love fresh dill on my potatoes, so this is definitely one for me Val. I don;t think we use dill enough really. I love the sound of all the other ingredients too. It's a winner for me!

    ReplyDelete
  25. what a yummy potato salad Val! I've joined the same group, but was unable to add my fruit salad due to a trip back to Iowa when the posts were due . . . i tried, but there was I was helping my mother go through stuff after my father's passing for the first time (sad) and then my daughter's first baby shower among midwest-located family. It's a nice themed group, I think! Love your photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.