17 June 2012

Celebrate Fathers Day with a Meyer Lemon and Ricotta Puffed Pancake with the First of the Season Macerated Strawberries

Meyer Lemon and Ricotta Puff with Macerated Strawberries

Celebrate food and family, and start your day with a lovingly prepared breakfast from the heart of your own kitchen to express your appreciation. Most importantly give your Dad the royal treatment and treat him like a King. To celebrate Dad on his special day I tried this version of a puffed pancake, or Dutch Baby, from the San Francisco Chronicle.

While attending the Okanagan Food and Wine Writers Workshop last week I was thrilled to discover during one of the farm-to-table-dinners that red, luscious, strawberries were ready here in the valley. Strawberries are a sure sign that summer is coming, but you have probably noticed, it is coming slowly. What better way to bring in the season than to share this special treat with the ones you love. My own dad is on the other side of the country but as the old Crosby,Stills, Nash and Young song goes, "If you can't be with the one you love, honey, love the one your with."

With the fresh ricotta this is reminiscent of a cheese blintz. It is fair to say you can also use regular lemons for this recipe but Meyer lemons have a sweeter flavour. So celebrate Dad and enjoy another S-l-o-w Sunday. Today of all days is meant to be savoured.


**Meyer Lemon and Ricotta Puffed Pancake with the First of the Season Macerated Strawberries**

The macerated strawberries:

1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
Squeeze of Meyer lemon juice, to taste

The pancake:

1 cup whole milk
4 eggs
1/3 cup sugar, + more for sprinkling on top
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons grated Meyer lemon zest (preferably on a microplane)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 400F.

To macerate the strawberries, sprinkle the sugar and lemon juice, if using, over the fruit in a bolw and toss to coat. Depending on the sweetness of the strawberries, you will need to adjust the amount of sugar and lemon. Set aside while you prepare the pancake.

Blend the milk, eggs, 1/3 cup sugar, vanilla, salt, flour and lemon zest in a blender until smooth, taking care not to over mix.

Melt the butter in a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over low heat on the stove, coating the sides of the pan as well as the bottom. Remove from heat and pour the batter into the skillet.

Whisk the ricotta cheese with the sugar and heavy cream in a small bowl; drop by spoonfuls into the pancake batter, spacing it evenly throughout. Sprinkle a little granulated sugar on top.

Place pan into the oven. Cook until the pancake is set and the top is puffed and golden, about 25 minutes.

Cut into wedges, and serve immediately topped with the macerated strawberries and collected juices.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast athttp://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

30 comments:

  1. A delightful treat and wonderful way of celebrating Father's Day!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm smiling because I'm posting a lemon ricotta pancake tomorrow and linking to you and your slow Sundays. :) Mine are pancakes and not Dutch Babies, which my mother loved. And she squeezed lemon on hers and confectioners sugar. She also made a savory version (like Toad in the Hole) with sausage. We loved it, I've posted about it.
    Perfect for Father's Day, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No doubt about it, I love Dutch babies and the idea of the strawberries is brilliant Val. Our local strawberry season has just run its course, but they were terrific while it lasted. This is a "must try."
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love that term 'macerated'?? It sounds so dastardly! But I also love the sound of your delicious father's day treat .... mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one interesting pancake. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love making Dutch Babies, and enjoy dusting it with powdered sugar and some fresh lemon juice. You got my attention with the Ricotta. LOVE ricotta and LOVE blintzes. I'm pinning this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJune 17, 2012

    YUM- I loved baked pancakes. I imagine this is amazing with the tang of ricotta and lemon. I can't wait to give this oen a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love ricotta cheese and I especially love it in baked goods or pancakes! This Dutch Baby looks lovely…and yummy I’m sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous celebration breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJune 17, 2012

    my oh my that looks delicious! perfect way to celebrate dad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. a delicious and delightful combination, Meyer lemons and strawberries, I can't think of anything better! Your pancake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousJune 18, 2012

    What a great way to start the day - it would put a big smile on my face! delicious
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Summer is a bit tentative this year, isn't it? So much rain and cool days just when you think the summer weather might stay.

    The strawberries are in the farmers' markets now, but I haven't had any really super good ones. Every quart I buy brings me such hope, but I end up just a bit disappointed.

    I love your dutch baby variation though. This would definitely make those berries a little sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh look at that, it looks like a big,yummy sweet Yorkshire Pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect way to celebrate. Your pancakes look delicious, especially topped with the strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We did father's day out, but pancakes were definitely on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are sure to be a hit. They look and sound delicious and they are really a perfect way to start a slow Sunday or holiday breakfast. Local strawberries are finally available here and this sounds like a wonderful way to put them to good use. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUM YUM ... I think these are the best ever Val!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice tribute. My dad is across the country too. So this worked as a nice reminder. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful and delicious! I love the combination of flavors you used. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  21. strawberries are the perfect accompaniment to a giant and delicious pancake such as this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. We've had a very warm spring and this week, it's downright hot! I know our Wisconsin strawberries are in season and this sounds like a delicious way to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great breakfast, Val! It looks delicious. Too bad your dad couldn't enjoy it with you! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. AnonymousJune 18, 2012

    This looks soo yummy! I am on a lemon kick these days so I will be trying this! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My, oh my, does that look deliciously comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Look amazingVal I love this and I love strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Where did you find Meyer lemons? They are so rarely here. I bought myself a tree last year, but it died. I will try again. I am committed to get them growing in my house. A friend has a tree with lovely lemons on it a few times a year - twice, for sure, I believe. What a labour of love for papa!
    :)
    V

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am catching up Val and I just love this recipe. I have Kitchen Butterfly visisitng from Nigeria and she has a passion for Meyer lemons and it's her first time seeing them...that and NYC Taxi cabs....will print this and if time permits will make for her.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lemons, strawberries, puffed pancake, and breakfast . . . perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love Dutch babies and this one sounds especially good with ricotta! I love cheese blintzes.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.