27 May 2012

Strawberry Shortcake for One For Slow Sundays...all you need are doughnuts

Strawberry Shortcake for One
Welcome back to another instalment of S-l-o-w Sundays. Now that long, warm days are here breakfast in the More Than Burnt household quite often needs to be quick and yet satisfying so that we can move forward with all the exciting plans for the day, even if that just means heading over to my little plot in our neighbourhood community garden. Sometimes Sundays are just not that s-l-o-w when you are headed out on another adventure. With warm weather comes the need to make the most of every moment of the day.

Although I love to spend time in the kitchen creating mouth-watering dishes for the ones I love, most often breakfast involves making breakfast for me alone! Enter these strawberry shortcakes for one! I saw them last year on Julie's blog Dinner with Julie and the idea has stuck with me. They are perfect for one person in so many ways. I always usher in strawberry season with strawberry shortcake. The thing is that if you live alone you then have an entire cake to devour. Of course you could share but most often I have more than one piece. These are made individually and with cake doughnuts so how perfect is that!


There is no real recipe required and no baking or slaving over a hot stove. All you need do is slice some juicy strawberries, add a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar and allow them to macerate for about 15 minutes in a bowl. In a separate bowl whip up a little whipped cream and add a tablespoon of mascarpone cheese. Slice a sour cream cake doughnut in half horizontally and pile on the whipped cream and the strawberries. As a final touch dust your creation with a little icing sugar and top with another strawberry and voila!!!!Of course you do not need to use either balsamic vinegar or mascarpone cheese, but I had both on hand,


I can see that you feel these would make a wonderful dessert as well. For those hot summer days you could even multiply the "recipe" and use a dozen doughnuts for a no-cook and yet fabulous dessert for your guests. Now head out and enjoy the day!

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

22 comments:

  1. A great idea! What a perfect treat for a lazy Sunday.

    cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowzer... I need this NOW!!!... I love how pretty it is but you KNOW it will be destroyed the moment I get my chops around it!... divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right this is the perfect dessert. Plus it's so quick to put together when having company over. Great dessert idea and pretty too. I look forward to try this and when alone for dinner I can indulge myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful idea Valii and your photo is gorgeous, makes me feel like I'm sitting on your back porch indulging in this yummy treat ...........so sad that I'm only doing it virtually! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun and what a smart idea! Who would have thought? You know I thought this was a St Josephs Day Pastry by the photo, what a great looking dessert amazed by simplicity at its best right here! NICE ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to enjoy a special treat!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also thought it was a zeppole. Let's hear it for the lazy, hazy days of summer and you still do it all in style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the same problem cooking for one, either I have too many servings or it ends up going to waste. Love this idea for shortcake for one. Thanks, Val.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That certainly looks delicious, Val! I really like the addition of mascarpone cheese in the whipping cream and the simplicity of using donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this for when you're really craving dessert but don't want a whole ton of it in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving this idea Val. Easy and tasty! I think I will use this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So easy and so elegant. Val this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a clever idea, Val. And yes, perfect for one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. GREAT idea! i haven't ventured into having strawberry shortcake for breakfast, but it's a marvelous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful dessert, I think I will try it Val. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so excited to get back to slow Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUM!
    Funny I happened to look at my sight today. Saw that you said hi and you mentioned the Workshop in Kelowna. Will you be attending?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know how Sundays got to be the busiest day of the week but it has and I'm happy to start it off this way anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is raining here, but I still want that right now. Mmmmmm! Oh how I love berry season!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I ADORE this idea!
    We try our best to have strawberry shortcake at least once a week. I mean they are just so darn good you know?

    ReplyDelete
  22. How sweet is that! (No pun intended)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.