Fresh English Pea Salad with Mint and Pecorino
Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club. This is a monthly event where a group of ladies and one gent in two neighbouring countries get together on the first Wednesday of every month to create a delicious meal with a theme in mind. This is our third year of the Virtual Supper Club where we continue to share a love for Cooking Light magazine with an emphasis on healthy eating and living.This is a team effort where we combine what Cooking Light readers like best...good food with great company!!! This months theme " A Celebration with Mom" was chosen by our very own Giz of Equal Opportunity Kitchen to celebrate mom this Mothers day, a subject near and dear to her heart.
We are still lucky enough to have mom in our lives. Both she and dad, although in their 80's, still hike in their beloved Lake District in England about twice a year. Mom is compassionate and giving and always ready to lend a helping hand, can I also say a talented knitter who also sewed many of our clothes when we were younger. Each Mothers Day I regret more and more that my mom lives on the other side of the country so the number of times I see her is limited, but, we do talk on MSN each and every morning. They are in England right now taking care of some family business so the stars seem misaligned when I haven't had the opportunity to speak with my parents each and every morning.
Mothers Day is soon so to honour our moms both young and old lets see what the Virtual Supper Club has brought to the table to celebrate mom from the pages of Cooking Light magazine...
This months theme to honour mom was chosen Giz of Equal Opportunity Kitchen. She starts our meal off with a tasty Rub Roasted Salmon with Lemon Garlic Spinach.
For a light and refreshing salad I brought along a Fresh English Pea Salad with Mint and Pecorino. This simple salad boasts plenty of early summer flavour. You can substitute crumbled feta cheese for the pecorino. If you can't find fresh peas, use frozen thawed petite green peas.
- Roz of La Bella Vita brings a refreshing Raspberry Orange Sunrise in spirit. We have enjoyed having you as a member of the Virtual Supper Club.
- Jerry of Jerry's Thoughts, Musings and Rants ends our meal with the piece de resistance... a light and refreshing dessert French Martini Sorbet.
- On to the recipe....
- A hint of mint, lemon and peppery arugula, the pop of a fresh pea and the bite of a touch of Parmesan make a fresh and elegant welcome to Spring. happy Mothers Day Mom!!!!
- **Fresh English Pea Salad with Mint and Pecorino**
- Cooking Light 2008
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup shelled green peas (about 1 pound unshelled)
- 6 cups trimmed arugula
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shaved fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add peas; cook 1 minute. Drain and plunge peas into ice water; drain.
- Combine peas, arugula, and mint in a bowl. Add lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper; toss well. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.
- You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.