15 April 2012

Breakfast Cookies for Slow Sundays


Breakfast Cookies 

Sometimes Sundays are just not that s-l-o-w when you are headed out on another adventure. With warm weather comes the need to make the most of every moment of the day. This is when these nutritionally packed cookies come in handy. They are easy to take on the road for a quick breakfast enroute. I used dried sour cherries for these not too sweet breakfast treats.

**Breakfast Cookies**
based on a Recipe from Robyn's Cookies 

3/4 cup (185 mL)all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon (2 mL)baking soda
1/2 teaspoon (2 mL)baking powder
2 tablespoons (30 mL)ground flaxseed
2 tablespoons (30 mL) wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon (4 mL)ground cinnamon
1/2 cup (125 mL)unsalted butter (at room temperature)
1/2 cup (125 mL) light brown sugar (packed)
1/4 cup (60 mL)granulated sugar
2 tablespoons (30 mL)unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon 15 mL) maple syrup
1 large egg
1 cup (250 mL) large flake rolled oats (not quick cook)
1 cup (250 mL) unsweetened coconut ribbons
1/4 cup (75 mL) almond
1/4 cup (75 mL) hazelnuts
1 cup (250 mL) dried fruit of your choice (raisins, blueberries, cranberries, diced prunes, diced apricots, etc.
1/2 cup (125 mL)mini dark chocolate chips
In medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda and baking powder. Stir in flaxseed, wheat germ and cinnamon.
In stand mixer fitted with paddle, mix butter and both sugars on low speed 30 seconds. Raise speed to medium-high and beat until fluffy, 1 minute. Reduce speed to medium-low. Add applesauce, maple syrup and egg, mixing until combined. Slowly add dry mix until combined. Add oats, nuts, dried fruit and coconut until just combined. Cover and refrigerate dough at least 2 hours
Line large baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll 1/4-cup (60-mL) portions of dough into balls and flatten into 2-1/2-inch (6-cm) discs. Place on sheets 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Bake on middle rack of preheated 350F (180C) oven until brown at edges and middles are no longer wet, 14 minutes. Cool completely. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
Makes about 15 cookies.


You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

18 comments:

  1. What nice cookie especially for Tea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! a great way to start the day. Healthy and fulfilling.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cookies and not just for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breakfast cookies is a very good thing!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll take any excuse to eat cookies for breakfast! Especially seriously nutrient dense cookies like these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so close to making oatmeal raisin cookies today...and then I lost my oomph. So, I'll just live vicariously through this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oats, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate: those are my kind of cookies! I hope you had a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mornings are usually so rushed that these cookies would be a welcome addition! I love all of the nutritious ingredients- I need lots of energy to keep up with my second graders. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We adventured out Sunday and I certainly could have used these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm soooo into baking now that all new ideas are welcome, and yours looks really healthy and delicious :D. I would have a couple or three and then go for a nice walk through the forest :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd eat these any time of day! I love how they're loaded with wonderful, healthy ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious. My favorite breakfast of late are savory Indian pancakes but to change things up, I might just have to make a batch of these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this recipe! We have many days where we are running out the door and sometimes a good-for-you cookie would be a welcome time-saver!

    ReplyDelete
  14. nutritious and delicious--whoever decided cookies for breakfast was okay deserves a big ol' hug. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great way to start a day Val. I would eat these with a good coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for giving everyone permission to have cookies for breakfast! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. And I had eggs....these cookies are a perfect way to start my day...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the idea of a breakfast cookies with good stuff in it. Good for picnics too.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.