7 February 2012

Breakfast Bruschetta Topped with Herbed Ricotta for Slow Sundays

Breakfast Bruschetta

Welcome back to my kitchen my friends. Pull up a cozy chair and a warm blanket and join me a while on this Slow Sunday. Let me make you a steaming mug of chai tea or your favourite "joe" and a breakfast bruschetta just as you like it. Would you enjoy a "sunny side up" or poached egg perched on top? Consider it done. Once again sleepy heads we have embraced Slow Sundays, a new feature here at More Than Burnt Toast.


Woah, back up! Today is Tuesday isn't it? Well yes it is my lovelies but because I couldn't miss World Nutella Day on Sunday my Slow Sunday Feature is r-e-a-l-l-y   s-l-o-w and arrives on Tuesday. Whenever the mood hits us we will highlight breakfast and brunch ideas that allow us to explore all that a leisurely morning can offer. In my home Sunday is the day for putting my feet up but depending on your schedule maybe you have Saturday or even a Wednesday to do exactly what you would like to do. No matter which Slow Day you can manage the day should be s-l-o-w, no rushing around, no big errands, just taking your time and mozying along. My idea of enjoying a Sunday morning is to have a warm cup of tea and a long and lovingly prepared breakfast. Whether I am entertaining family or friends or am going solo breakfast on the weekend is a highlight of the day. Any time spent in the kitchen is time well spent! 

So enjoy a breakfast bruschetta and start your day off with a smile. This is truly one of my favourite ways to start the day.

**Breakfast Bruschetta Topped with Herbed Ricotta**

500g cherry tomatoes
400g portobello mushrooms, stalks removed
1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
24 slices of lean bacon
12 slices Italian bread
I cup (250g) fresh ricotta
1 tablespoon Spring onions, minced
1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 whole garlic clove, peeled

Combine the ricotta, Spring onions, dill, chives, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper and set aside. 

Preheat oven to 325F (160°C). Place the tomatoes and mushrooms in a roasting pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoonful of oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until tomatoes begin to collapse. Remove from oven and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over high heat. Add the bacon and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to a plate. 

Toast the bread slices until of desired doneness.  Brush lightly with olive oil and rub each slice of bread with the cut side of the garlic clove. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and spread with the herbed ricotta. Serve 2 warm slices per person with a green salad on the side.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

27 comments:

  1. Oh, yummy! I'd have that everyday if I could.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bruschetta, sounds delicious and fresh at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely wonderful idea for a lazy Sunday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks so so good. i like a slow sunday too. that's when i pamper myself, treat myself to a bit of something delicious that either takes a while longer or more effort or are simply ingredients I don't use on a daily basis. this looks like a bit of all (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. love brushetta and look delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds YUMMY..Bookmarked..

    Aarthi
    http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving your slow Sunday breakfasts... this bruschetta looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that does sound good actually. I mean I love a really good "kicked up: brushetta.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bruschetta for breakfast? Brilliant! Definitely a creative way to reinvent a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Val! I just saw your entry on Canadian Food Bloggers; love your idea!(between you and I...yours should have come in first).
    This is my kind of Sunday Slow Cooking; really looks tasty good!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  11. An excuse to eat ricotta for breakfast? I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally agree about the slow Sunday mornings - it's my favourite part of the week! This looks delicious; a great way to wind down the week. And um, it's got bacon, which makes it even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A warm breakfast is the best welcome to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could eat this for breakfast but also lunch or dinner - looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, if only I could capture that Slow Sunday mood on my hectic Tuesday mornings. That would be nice. :)
    This sounds like a wonderful breakfast for a lazy sunday morning, especially with a really big mug of tea to accompany it. Love the combination of hearty breakfast flavours with the creamy ricotta.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW. Best thing I've seen all day! Immediately pinned this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a delicious way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Who can say no to a slow start to the week? Looks scrumptious val...love tomatoes and ricotta!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Who can say no to a slow start to the week? Looks scrumptious val...love tomatoes and ricotta!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How delicious, Val. :-) I just learned how to make fresh ricotta and oh boy does it taste good. I'd love to try it in this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, it was worth waiting till Tuesday for your Slow Sunday recipe, although I might wait till next Sunday to make it. It looks like the perfect lazy Sunday meal!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Breakfast bruschetta is such a great idea. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely way to start the day, Val. It sounds wonderful, especially for Sunday brunch. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love weekend mornings too, drinking a second cup of coffee and enjoying a treat I would otherwise have no time to make. The breakfast bruschetta is a perfect way to start your morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I will not only eat that bruschetta with a smile Val, I will also sing you: when you smile, I can see, you were born, born for me... Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a lovely invitation and offering! I really like the combination of ingredients on this plate!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.