25 January 2012

Nutella and Ferroro Rocher Baklava for World Nutella Day

Nutella and Ferrero Rocher Baklava

The world has stopped and turned its attention to an exciting, momentous event that happens only once a year. No, not the Super Bowl or even our birthday but it is World Nutella Day! A day that outshines all of the above. February 5th was dubbed World Nutella Day back in 2007. This was the brainchild of Sara from Ms. Adventures in Italy and Michelle from Bleeding Espresso. Once again they solemnly declare February 5th “World Nutella Day 2012″ which is a day to celebrate, to get creative with, and most importantly, to EAT Nutella. Resistance is futile!!



As we all know Nutella is that hazelnut spread that we longed for as children, smeared onto warm bread fresh from the oven or inbetween crepes with strawberries or bananas. Even as an adult a spoonful of this chocolate-hazelnut spread gianduja is delicious enough straight off the spoon!!!! Think Ferrero Rocher!!!! Nutella is the brand name of this hazelnut-based sweet spread created by the Italian company Ferrero in the 1940s. At the time, chocolate was very limited due to World War II and this innovative company had the answer.  Nutella is now marketed in over 75 countries across the globe. Other countries even have their own versions of this spread. 


This year I couldn't miss with this Greek-Italian inspired baklava based on a recipe from the pages of Cooking Light magazine. I mixed it up a bit and threw in some Ferroro Rocher for good measure. The layers become almost fudge like with their crunchy combination of walnuts, pistachios, hazelnuts and almonds. The added bonus is a sprinkling of leftover Ferrero Rocher. It is very sweet so sharing with some friends is the key for this ultimate snack on World Nutella day!


Filo can be notoriously difficult to work with but if given the right product the end result will be translucent layers of crispy dough. I found a frozen variety from Jonathan T. in Ontario at my local Choices grocer. It puts out a consistently good and reliable product where the sheets are not torn or dried out. They also remain crispy once baked.

**Nutella and Ferroro Rocher Baklava**

3/4 cup honey 
1/2 cup water
(3-inch) cinnamon stick
1 cup Nutella hazelnut-chocolate spread 
1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup blanched toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup crushed Ferrero Rocher
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt 
Cooking spray 
24 (14 x 9-inch) sheets frozen filo dough, thawed
1/2 cup butter, melted 

Combine the first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat; stir until honey dissolves. Increase heat to medium; cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 230° (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat; keep warm. Discard cinnamon stick.

Preheat oven to 350°.

Place hazelnut-chocolate spread in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH for 30 seconds or until melted. 

 Combine hazelnuts and next 5 ingredients (through salt). 

Lightly coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Working with 1 phyllo sheet at a time (cover remaining dough to prevent drying), place 1 phyllo sheet lengthwise in bottom of prepared pan, allowing ends of sheet to extend over edges of dish; lightly brush with butter. Repeat procedure with 5 phyllo sheets and butter. Drizzle about 1/3 cup melted hazelnut -chocolate spread over phyllo. Sprinkle evenly with one-third of nut mixture (about 1/2 cup) and 1/3 of the crushed Ferroro Rocher. Repeat procedure twice with filo, butter, hazelnut-chocolate spread, nut mixture and crushed Ferrero Rocher. Top last layer of nut mixture with remaining 6 sheets phyllo, each lightly brushed with butter. Press gently into pan.

Make 3 lengthwise cuts and 5 crosswise cuts to form 24 portions using a sharp knife. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until phyllo is golden. Remove from oven. Drizzle honey mixture over baklava. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cover; store at room temperature.

Note: Because filo sheets are thin and delicate, handle with care so you won't tear the sheets. Keep the sheets you are not working with covered so they won't dry out.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison
    Best Blogger Tips

    28 comments:

    1. I can't believe I missed World Nutella Day... again! Boo.
      I do love me some Nutella. It's such a guilty pleasure, especially when I sneak a spoonful straight from the jar. :) Putting it in baklava with Ferrerro Rochers is positively genius!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Word Nutella day is on February 5th so if you still want to participate you can Isabelle. I posted today to as a reminder and also because I had nothing else to post:D

      ReplyDelete
    3. I have to send this to my daughter..loves baklava..and nutella:)Thank you!

      ReplyDelete
    4. OMG - This is deliciously decadent - something I must have.

      ReplyDelete
    5. OMG, those baklava are extremely devilish! I love both nutella and that speciality, so I am now drooling behind my screen...

      Cheers,

      Rosa

      ReplyDelete
    6. What a beautiful baklava! Can't beat Nutella and nuts and phyllo! February 5 th, huh? I'll be celebrating!

      ReplyDelete
    7. You just brought Baklava to new heights!
      This is a Special Day for sure. My grand daughter needs to see this and her mom loves baklava. I can just imagine the discussion at their place tonight. Thank you for this reminder.
      Rita

      ReplyDelete
    8. This is the first Nutella recipe I've ever really wanted to try! Amazing.

      ReplyDelete
    9. This is such a delicious and unique way to celebrate the momentous occasion - yum!

      Cheers
      Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself
      Latest: Two Tone Choc-Blueberry Cheesecake

      ReplyDelete
    10. I cannot resist any of the ingredients in this recipe. I'm weak with anticipation and can't wait to get to the grocery store for Nutella and the Ferroro rocher.

      Goodbye diet!

      Best,
      Bonnie

      ReplyDelete
    11. What a wonderful thing to celebrate~beautiful photo!

      ReplyDelete
    12. So...this is what love at first sight is like.

      ReplyDelete
    13. I'm speechless...this is the best invention ever! Nutella in anything rocks, but add some Ferroro Rocher in there and you just kicked up 10 notches! Amazing job :)

      ReplyDelete
    14. I really need a calendar with all of these food-oriented "holidays"

      ReplyDelete
    15. Gosh! That Baklava looks sooooooo gooooood, Valli! I love the plate and the teapot.... so cute the picture.

      ReplyDelete
    16. I consistently miss these world food events. Go figure. And would you believe the very first time I ever taste Nutella was about three months ago? This is a gorgeous treat -- creative, too. I would never have imagined Baklava filled with chocolatey wonderfulness!

      ReplyDelete
    17. It looks mouth watering good!

      ReplyDelete
    18. Absolutely delicious my kids love Nutella Valli!! gloria

      ReplyDelete
    19. These look incredible and the ingredient list sounds amazing. I'm sure anyone that tries these will feel like They died and went to heaven.

      ReplyDelete
    20. I really do love this treat, phyllo is so versatile...embracing chocolate too!

      ReplyDelete
    21. i'm certainly a fan of traditional baklava, but this blows it out of the water! sensational, val!

      ReplyDelete
    22. O.M.G.!!!! All I can say is that I cannot possibly make this as I would eat it all immediately... if not sooner. Oh, Nutella is good spread on apples, too....

      ReplyDelete
    23. I've never been a big fan of Nutella, I think it's just too sweet for my liking. But THIS look fantastic. Love those flaky layers.

      ReplyDelete
    24. I am really liking the sound of a chocolate baklava!

      ReplyDelete
    25. I missed Nutella day…however I have to call you a genius for this creation Val…really! The humble baklava is elevated to legend status with this creation! Mmmmm!

      ReplyDelete
    26. Oh my goodness! This is basically the best idea ever! I saw an apple baklava recently that I thought was wonderful but this tops that!

      ReplyDelete
    27. Lovely recipe and delicious Thanks for preparing such a good resource for this..

      ReplyDelete
    28. Wow! The baklava looks delish! I have some filo pastry that I think can be used for a vegan version of this one.

      ReplyDelete

    Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

    Val

    This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.