29 January 2012

Greek-Inspired Filo Breakfast Bundles with Roasted Tomatoes for Slow Sundays

Greek Inspired Filo Breakfast Bundles with Roasted Tomatoes
What do you do on a Sunday when you are faced with bits and pieces in the fridge, heading to the store in your pyjamas in a snow flurry is not tempting...and did I mention you are in your pyjamas? Can you think of any more reasons why I would just want to cozy up and head to the kitchen? You have me convinced! Well once again sleepy heads we have embraced Slow Sundays, a new feature here at More Than Burnt Toast.


Whenever the mood hits us we will explore breakfast and brunch ideas that allow us to explore all that a leisurely morning can offer. In my home Sunday is the day for putting my feet up but depending on your schedule maybe you have Saturday or even a Wednesday to do exactly what you would like to do. No matter which Slow Day you can manage the day should be s-l-o-w, no rushing around, no big errands, just taking your time and mozying along. My idea of enjoying a Sunday morning is to have a warm cup of tea and a long and lovingly prepared breakfast. Whether I am entertaining family or friends or am going solo breakfast on the weekend is a highlight of the day. Any time spent in the kitchen is time well spent! 


This mornings breakfast consisted of a Greek-inspired ricotta, spinach and feta filling topped with an egg all encased in a flaky, light filo wrapping. For a lighter version of these cheesy pies, use reduced-fat feta and ricotta. Omit the 100g of butter and spray the filo sheets with oil rather than brushing them with butter . For me this makes a perfect late breakfast served with seasonal fruit, a fruit salad or some Greek Yogurt with nuts, honey and granola. I happened to have some leftover filo from the Nutella Baklava so this was the perfect choice to use up what I had in the fridge for a lighter breakfast to start my Sunday s-l-o-w.


**Greek-Inspired Filo Breakfast Bundles with Roasted Tomatoes**


Melted butter, to grease
  • 1 package cherry tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
  • 1/2 x 250g  package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
  • 100g (1/2 cup) feta, crumbled
  • 200g (1 cup) fresh ricotta
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon (15 mL) chopped fresh dill
  • 1 teaspoon (5 mL)finely grated lemon rind
  • 1 large egg, lightly whisked
  • 6 sheets filo pastry
  • 100g (1/2 cup)butter, melted
  • 8 large eggs

  • Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush your muffin pan lightly with butter. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. 

  • Place the tomatoes on the prepared tray and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

  • In a sauté pan over medium heat sauté chopped onions until translucent. Place spinach in a sieve and using your hands squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible; finely chop. Add chopped spinach to sauté pan and sauté 2 minutes more. Combine the spinach and onion mixture with feta, ricotta, dill and lemon rind in a large bowl. Add the egg and stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.

  • Lay one sheet of filo on a flat surface, brush with butter and continue to layer with 4 more sheets of filo. Cut into 6 pieces and cover with a damp towel. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets.

  • Press phyllo squares into non-stick muffin tins and fill with about 3 tablespoons filling. Top with 1 cracked egg and fold edges of filo over filling to enclose and make a small package.

  • Brush tops with butter and bake for 20 minutes, until filo is golden and crisp. 

  • Bake the tomatoes with the pies for the last 10-15 minutes or until the tomatoes are tender and the pies are golden. Allow to come to room temperature or serve warm from the oven. Your choice!

Lighten it up: For a lighter version of these cheesy pies, use reduced-fat feta and ricotta. Omit the 100g of butter and spray the filo sheets with oil rather than brush them with butter.

Note: Remove the filo bundles from the pan. They can be recrisped in the oven at any time


You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

33 comments:

  1. Val, Are you still in your jammies on this Slow Sunday? I love your new series. I am missing tomatoes and fresh dill otherwise this would become my lunch today...heck maybe a jaunt to the store is now in order! Happy Slow Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would easily serves these as a dinner course as well. People love breakfast for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great idea! Those packages look wonderful.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice indulgence for a Sunday morning and pour me a mimosa while you're at it; please and thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! These were the perfect way to use up those leftover ingredients. What bundles of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of the egg topping the filling. Very nice breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing Valli:) This is my type of plate, delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything in little phylo parcels..and yours look wonderful~

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful Sunday feast! Yummers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. feels nice and cosy in the weather we are having at the moment - the snowflakes on your screen remind me of the cold that is about to envelop us in the coming week...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Sundays sound like my Sundays, but without the snow...and with me dragging myself to the store to at least get something for one meal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would enjoy this for any meal of the day. I love having something special like this on an occasional leisurely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your Slow Sunday initiative and this is the perfect Slow Sunday indulgence. Absolutely luscious!
    :)
    V

    ReplyDelete
  14. You made this from bits and pieces in your fridge? Can you come live here? Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Val, that is such a beautiful plate! I am not really a breakfast eater - I love breakfast food, just not for breakfast. But I love the sound of your lazy Sunday mornings and this sounds like just the right treat. I would also totally try this for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes, I can definitely get with this idea! We use yufka (phyllo) a lot in Turkish cooking but I've never made something topped with an egg. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Val. Thank you so much for this idea, I'm SOOOO going to make this!!!!! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am completely smitten by those tomatoes roasted on the vine! Love that detail.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmmhhh, I can just about taste them. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know just how you feel about staying indoors in jammies on a Sunday. You came up with a delicious and beautiful creation.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Slow Sundays posts are my favorite, Val. :-) I look forward to them every week! These are wonderful little bundles, and I'm so excited because I just roasted some tomatoes, my spinach is ready to harvest and I just happen to have feta cheese AND filo pastry in my fridge. Yay!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW - the food made iwth bits and pieces from my fridge never look that amazing! I am beyond impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Val~Gee these look so lovely and sound just delish. Perhaps if I came in my jammies you'd let me pull up a chair and dig in! Thanks for sharing and I love your tips on lightening them up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great reason to enjoy Sunday. Love the little tomatoes on the plate too.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is my kind of meal! Perfect for slow Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a delicious way to spend a Sunday morning. I can imagine how tasty these little bundles must be.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your Sunday recipes always sound so delicious. This one is especially appealing. I know my family would love this. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  28. These have some of my favourite Greek flavours going on and they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i've reached the point in my commenting where i really only write one if i'm drawn to what's been made. val, i find myself needing to comment on your every post! this is ANOTHER winner--what a marvelous use for phyllo!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How cute are those?? I'm doing them for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What is it about phyllo that's just so irresistable? I could eat a dozen of these!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like the mood of your Slow Sunday posts -- and i definitely like that Greek-inspired present on a plate.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautifully plated. I would also serve this as a dinner dish. You have inspired me to get that phillo out of the fridge.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.