21 October 2010

Shrimp and Spaghetti (Squash) Fra Diavolo

Shrimp and Spaghetti (Squash) Fra Diavolo

More Than Burnt Toast will be missing in action over the weekend. I am not exactly lost because I know where I am. I will be in Seattle with 45 women who will be shopping till they drop in this stunning coastal city. Now, while they are shopping to their hearts content I will be headed to Pike Place Market to do my own thing. Although I like to look around I know from experience that one day of shopping will hold my attention but then I am off to explore!!!!. I have happily arranged to meet 7 other local Seattle area bloggers for  dinner at a local restaurant. Talk about the excitement building. I have been looking forward to this for a while!!!

In the meantime a girl needs to eat!!! So, to get my energy up for a power shopping weekend I am offering you a healthy version of one of my favourite dishes. I have had a spaghetti squash languishing on my kitchen counter for a while waiting for its moment to shine. Named for the crisp spaghetti-like strands of their cooked flesh, these football-size squash are more about texture than flavour. Something I just loved as a kid with a little butter and pepper. Once cooked, they make an unexpected ingredient in shredded vegetable salads or a great stand-in for spaghetti. Their mild flavour pairs well with just about any dressing or sauce. I usually toss cooked spaghetti squash with my favorite marinara sauce or pesto, or sauté the strands with brown butter and fresh herbs.

This particular idea is based on a recipe from Gavan Murphy an Irish chef you specializes in healthy cuisine. In true More Than Burnt Toast style I embellished and made it my own.“Fra Diavolo” generally describes spicy tomato-based sauces used for pasta or seafood. Fra Diavolo (Italian for "Brother Devil") is the name given to a spicy sauce for pasta or seafood. Most versions are tomato-based and use chili peppers for spice, but the term is also used for sauces that include no tomato, or that use cayenne or other forms of pepper. According to chef Mario Batali, the spicy sauce is an Italian-American creation and is rarely served in Italy so I raise my glass of wine to my American friends. Chin! Chin!

I have sent this recipe over to Roz at La Bella Vita for her Fresh Clean and Pure Fridays where we are incorporating fresh, new, seasonal and/or healthier foods, routines and decor to enhance our lives in some way.


**Shrimp and Spaghetti (Squash) Fra Diavolo**
Serves 2 with leftovers

1 medium spaghetti squash (preferably organic)
1 lb medium wild, locally caught shrimp (21-30′s)  (peeled and de-veined)
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus additional as needed
1/2 lemon, zested
1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes (as much as you can handle)
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons
1 medium onion, sliced
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 cup dry white wine
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
3 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
3 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves

**************
Preheat oven to 400°F.

To Roast Squash:

Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds from the interior. Drizzle the flesh with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay each squash half flesh side down on a foiled oven tray and pop in the oven until a knife pierces the flesh easily. Smaller ones will take less time to cook than larger ones so check them about 45 minutes to an hour in. Small ones took about an hour to roast and large ones take about 1- 1/2 hours.

In the meantime, toss the shrimp in a medium bowl with 1/4 teaspoon of salt, lemon zest and red pepper flakes. Heat the 3 tablespoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and saute for about a minute, toss, and continue cooking until just cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a large plate; set aside. Add the onion to the same skillet, adding 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the pan, if necessary, and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices, wine, garlic, and oregano. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Return the shrimp and any accumulated juices to the tomato mixture; toss to coat, and cook for about a minute so the flavours meld together. Stir in the parsley and basil. Season with more salt, to taste.

Once ready, remove the spaghetti squash from the oven, let cool enough to handle and using a fork gently scrape out the ‘spaghetti’.  Add spaghetti squash to sauce and toss to coat. Of course you can eliminate the shrimp and eat on it’s own OR you can add grilled chicken. Deliciousness either way!

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Content must be credited to this author. Best Blogger Tips

30 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous weekend is in store! And this looks like a wonderful recipe!!

    anne
    www.anniebakes.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun meeting all the blogging ladies. What a fun trip you have planned! We need to play around with spaghetti squash more. It's a great substitute for pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seafood Valli and this look yummy!! gloria
    nice picture! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. have super fun this weekend! Like you, shopping can only hold my interest for so long. Exploring seattle should be awesome though.

    I have yet to find a preparation for spaghetti squash that I really love. This sounds truly delicious though. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an awesome dish! spaghetti squash is so versatile.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous, Val. You know, the first time someone described spaghetti squash to me, I thought she was making fun of me. You know, in Italy sometimes adults tell children that spaghetti grow on trees, so I thought this was the American version of that tall tale. Anyway, that plate looks great. I am not very good at getting strands of spaghetti squash, so I particularly admire your skill in making yours really look like spaghetti.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've used this variety of squash so many times with so many toppings...and imagine...not with shrimp!?! Great pairing ;o)

    Val, have yourself an incredibly fun time in Seattle!

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spaghetti Squash is often present in my kitchen. I use it all the time as a substitute for pasta or rice. It definitely takes on the flavor of whatever the topping and it's healthy to boot.

    Sounds like a nice weekend. Save some of the food blogging love for Festival!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh, I will have to try this soon, Val! I love squash and this looks splendid. SO excited to see you this weekend!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have fun in Seattle Val...this is a very inventive dish! Love the squash and shrimp flavours~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Val You sound so excited, have a wonderful time, I love that area!
    Right now I have a spaghetti squash staring at me on my counter, I've been wondering what to do with it! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, I love this! I love spaghetti squash and have one sitting on my counter! I was trying to figure out a new way to eat it up...this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is a lot of heallthy eating going on on this site, not that I would mind eating this delicious food!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. spaghetti squash is just so fun! this is a truly terrific dish, val--you never steer us wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I found your link through Roz, love the recipe and your blog! I can't wait to dig into more of your recipes. I host a healthy food recipe swap every Friday, this would be a great addition, I'd love to see you there!

    I just made spaghetti squash for the first time, LOVE it - yours looks much more sophisticated than mine. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I admit that spaghetti squash is one of those things I always plan on making/eating and never get around to. You've re-inspired me. :) Have a great time in Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is lovely Val, something my husband really like fra diavolo and adding the squash will be a different spin for him.

    I hear from Joan tht we have a date in San Fran and I am really looking forward to meeting you.

    Safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great, healthy meal! I was just thinking about how I need to cook with spaghetti squash again soon. And, I love spicy Fra Diavolo sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun time you're going to have. I hope we hear all about it.
    I love spaghetti squash and plan to do a post on it soon....nothing as fancy as this lovely dish though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks delicious! I never thought to pair olive oil with pumpkin, but love both so can only imagine the result was fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love any seafood Fra Diavolo and this shrimp looks fantastic! Love the squash as a replacement for spaghetti! Brilliant! And have a blast on that weekend shopping spree. Wish I could come along...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have to get hooked up on some of these tours you go on! Where did you find a tour with 45 women! Inquiring minds want to know! Dish looks yummy. Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Val that looks healthy and delicious. How was the week-end in Seattle?

    ReplyDelete
  24. That shrimp looks delicious val. I have yet to become seafood cooking confident! Have fun shopping ...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've heard lots about spaghetti squash but have not tried it, would love to one day. Your dish sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Val, this gorgeous photo should keep us more than happy until you return. Can't wait to hear about your trip.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely recipe!
    I was in Seattle once for 3 three days and fell in love with Pike Place Market; went 4 times while I was there. Wish I could go back.
    I'm hoping you will post about your fabulous weekend; it just had to be fun.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  28. Have a wonderful time in Seattle, Val. I love to visit Pike Place Market and the wonderful little crumpet shop around the corner.

    This looks like a delicious way to serve spaghetti squash.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Excellent! That sounds like a great time! This recipe is wonderful, love all the flavors in it and will have to try it. Very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Pike Place Market is just one of the things I miss about living on the West Coast - hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.