15 August 2009

Corn Pikelets with Fresh Tomato Salsa

Corn Pikelets with Fresh Tomato Salsa
There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding what Pikelets are. According to Wikipedia a Pikelet is a small thick pancake, generally known in Australia, New Zealand and parts of Britain. Also known in parts of Britain as a drop-scone or Scotch pancake; or a British regional dialect word variously denoting a flatter variant on crumpet or an English muffin. Everything you read about crumpets or Pikelets seems to be contradictory. But hey, 'gotta love them!!!!



My memories of pikelets as a child, growing up in a British household, do not bring to mind the stage name of an Australian singer/songwriter Evelyn Morris or a character in the video game Banjo-Kazooie- Nuts & Bolts. In my mind a pikelet is essentially a free-form version of a crumpet whose nooks and crannies envelope all that melted butter. My own conclusion, that I am sticking to, is that crumpets are baked on a griddle in a metal ring. The action of the heat from below on the yeast and the raising agent reacts and bubbles are formed quickly and burst at the surface, giving an uneven, pitted top. Pikelets are thinner, and are baked on a griddle without a ring to hold them. Pikelets are also cooked on both sides.

Whatever the truth about crumpets or Pikelets we can still enjoy them for what they are!!Pikelets have been a favorite of Aussie, Kiwi and British kids for decades. And who can blame them? What’s not to love!!!! I have fond memories of waking up to find a plate of pikelets waiting for me. They weren’t the homemade kind but they were still delicious with copious amounts of melted butter oozing from every nook and cranny!!! Mom always served them with fried tomatoes with the pikelets as the foile to scoop up every last bit of tomato juice left on the plate. I am lic king my lips as we speak!!!

Until recently I had not heard of any other kind. But did you know that there are sweet versions? I must have been hiding under a rock!!! Tomorrow I am going to try a blueberry pikelets version topped with a dusting of icing sugar and melted butter. Try this version by my friend Peter at Souvlaki for the Soul. Pikelets made his way!! How's about Banana Pikelets, Chestnut Pikelets, Pikelets with Berries and Yogurt or Sweet Potato Pikelets. They will make a great weekend breakfast whatever you choose and they're really simple to make.

In the meantime I couldn't resist these savory corn pikelets to highlight the summer bounty made with Parmesan cheese and studded with cayenne pepper. These were absolutely stellar in my books. One of those recipes I will use over and over again!!! Someday if I ever I write a cookbook this will be in it!!!

The recipe calls for self-raising flour which is not readily available here in Canada (that I am aware of). Therefore make your own. Sift two teaspoons of baking powder with every cup of flour used. The other alternative is to sift half a teaspoon bicarbonate of soda and one teaspoon of cream of tartar with every cup of flour.




** Corn Pikelets with Tomato Salsa**
based on a recipe from Taste.com.au

3/4 cup self-raising flour
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 corn on the cob (kernels removed) can also use 310g canned corn
olive oil cooking spray

Salsa
3 tomatoes, finely chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped

Sift flour, cayenne and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Stir in Parmesan. Make a well in the centre. Using a fork, whisk egg and buttermilk together. Add to flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Stir in corn.

Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Spray frying pan with oil. Drop heaped tablespoonfuls of mixture into pan, 4 at a time. Cook for 2 minutes each side, or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Keep warm.

Make salsa: Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve pikelets topped with salsa.

Serves 4

NOTE: To make self-raising flour if not readily available, sift two teaspoons of baking powder with every cup of plain flour used. The other alternative is to sift half a teaspoon bicarbonate of soda and one teaspoon of cream of tartar with every cup of plain flour.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

28 comments:

  1. I love your corn pikelets, they are just about the perfect thing for scooping up yummy tomato salsa! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of a pikelet before! Oh, what a fun name! These sound just terrific, especially with the corn, buttermilk, and parm cheese! I would enjoy these year round ... during summer for a barbeque and in the colder season for something fun to eat. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in SA, that would be called a flapjack or a crumpet, but who cares what it is called...with the salsa it makes for a very tasty mini-meal!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of pikelets--but I do think they sound delicious. I think it is fairly wonderful when personal experience contradicts the internet--proves that human existence cannot be encompassed on a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pikelets - what lovely memories you've back for me! i make corn pikelets often, as they are a favorite quick snack of my children's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! The blueberry ones sound lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those piklets look so good and go perfectly well with that delightful salsa!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have actually never heard of a pickelet, but now I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had a pikelet - but they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh Vall this look so delicious!!!! xxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must confess to having never heard the term 'pikelet' before, crumpet yes. Whatever you call it, it sure looks good to me especially in a savory interpretation which I prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "with copious amounts of melted butter oozing from every nook and cranny!!!" Um...I could not get past this sentence. I am drooling!! I have never even heard of a pikelet before. But I definitely NEED to try one now! These sound amazing...love all the flavors :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Firstly, thanks for the shout out Val! I always assumed pikelets were part of North American cuisine. Basically, I see them as a fat pancake and they are quite versatile. Your savoury version with corn and cayenne look delicious...a perfect brunch treat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my heart be still! These sound so awesome! Buttermilk, corn and cayenne ... I must try these I don't care what they're called.
    Beautiful photos Val!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never even heard the word Pikelet. Too bad. They sound so good. I vote for the savory version.
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pikelet - what a funny name - almost like a baby pikefish :). Funny how things show up in different cultures. I make something very similar to this with either cauliflower or broccoli or even zucchini. Deeeee-licious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never heard of pikelets before but they sound like something I'd love!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never heard of a pickelet either! These look great, I would love to snack on these!! Can't wait to see the other versions too!

    Great tip on the self raising flour! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a perfect surface for that salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  20. First time hearing of pikelets. They look like fritters to me. I like the combo with the salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  21. corn cakies and fresh maters are a terrific combination, but even without seeing it, i suspect your blueberry version would be even better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've heard of crumpets, but I don't think I ever heard of pikelets. Thanks for the lesson.

    Either way, I love corn cakes no matter what you call them. These do look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Corn pikelets? Never had them, but they look good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've heard of pikelets, but only understand just now what they are. Delicious carb-y treats, Val. I rather fancy them savory (as w/ your salsa), but wouldn't send them back if sweet. : }

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never had a pikelet - what a cute name! The corn pikelets look scrumptious, I'd love to try!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look a bit like our Rhode Island jonnycakes, with mix-ins!

    ReplyDelete
  27. thanks to you, I made pikelets. I am posting them tomorrow.They were great.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love pikelets, but there seems to be some controversy regarding pronounciation. Is it
    pike lets as in Pike's Peak?
    Or
    Pick lets as in Pick a peck of peppers?
    Thanks for this savory recipy - can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.