12 October 2008

Sweet Pies Event Avec Maple Butter Tarts


Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here in Canada it is a long weekend being the Canadian Thanksgiving celebrations. It is held earlier in the "Great White North" on the 2nd Monday in October. If you want to read the history and understand the difference between the Canadian and American Thanksgiving feel free to enter here.

In the meantime is there anything...ANYTHING at all that is so universally well known as Canadian as the Butter Tart???????????? The country is divided about what a butter tart should be. Is it gooey or custardy???? This recipe is not a traditional butter tart recipe due to fact that it uses maple syrup..but it is more in the "custardy" camp than "gooey". I love both types...it does not matter to me as long as it has nuts and raisins....I am there!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am entering this traditional Canadian fare into my blog sister Ivy's event this month Sweet Pies . Ivy is my adopted sister from Kopiaste blogging out of Athens, Greece. Last months Savory Pies event was such a huge success so on to the SWEETS!!!! " Phyllo in Greek, means a sheet (in this case a sheet of pastry) which will be used with the filling of your choice. " Ivy and I have become good friends over the past year with a love for Greek food and trying new and innovative dishes. I wouldn't miss her event for the world!!!!!


Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks for all our blessings. I give thanks for friends and family. L'il Burnt Toast and I celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday with a luncheon at St. Hubertus Winery. It was a part of the Okanagan Fall Wine Festival which is a 10 day event listed as one of the Top 100 Things to do In North America. We dined with many locals and tourists alike and sat beside an entourage from Mexico City who were touring our area and writing for a travel magazine. I am spending the afternoon with some friends who have invited me for the traditional turkey feast at their place. As my contribution I am bringing these tarts (and a bottle of wine of course)...after all who has room for dessert after all that turkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you want to try a typically Canadian treat go for a Butter Tart!!!!!!!!!!!! My friends daughter does not enjoy pastry so I opted for making half with puff pastry instead.... oh mon ça alors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A little history.....The English Canadian tart consists of butter, sugar and eggs in a pastry shell, similar to the base of the U. S. pecan pie without the nut topping, and similar to the French-Canadian sugar pie. Additional ingredients can include raisins, pecans, walnuts, coconut, dates, butterscotch, chocolate chips or peanut butter. Butter tarts were a staple of pioneer Canadian cooking, and they remain a characteristic pastry of Canada, considered one of only a few recipes genuinely Canadian quoted from the 6th edition of the Collins English Dictionary. One of the earliest known Canadian recipes is from northern Ontario and dates back to 1915.

Similar tarts are made in Scotland, where they are often referred to as Ecclefechan butter tarts from the town of Ecclefechan; and in France where they are related to tarte à la frangipane which includes ground almonds.

Butter tarts are said to have been a favourite treat of Canada's first Prime Minister, Sir John A. Macdonald.

**Maple Butter Tarts**

1 single crust pastry

Maple Syrup Filling:

3/4 cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (125 mL) maple syrup
1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, melted
2 eggs
1 T (15 mL)cider vinegar
1/2 (2 mL)tsp salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) walnut halves, chopped
1/4 cuo(50 mL) dried raisins

*************************
Set out muffin or tart pans with twelve cups.

On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to a generous 1/8-inch thickness. Using 4-inch round cutter, cut out 12 circles, rerolling scraps. Fit into muffin cups; refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Filling: Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk together brown sugar, maple syrup, butter, eggs, cider vinegar and salt. Divide walnuts and raisins evenly among pastry shells. Spoon scant 1/4 cup (50 mL) filling into each shell.

Bake in centre of 350F (180C) oven until filling is set and pastry is golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Run thin knife blade around edges to release tarts. Let cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool. They can be stored in single layer in airtight container at room temperature for 1 day.

Makes 1 dozen tarts
Best Blogger Tips

32 comments:

  1. Val, Happy Thanksgiving! We will celebrate tomorrow. I will be with my two sons. DH is in Africa and DD is in Ottawa. I miss them. Love your pies for the Sweet Pies Event. Hope your day is as Sunny as ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very fitting Canadian butter tart for Thanksgiving...have a wonderful and restful holidaY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy thanksgiving, pies are a great autumn treat, perfect for the weatehr this time of year (especially ours - we're in the middle of a downpour)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving, Val! Those tartlets look incredibly tempting! I love maple syrup, so I can't resist to such a treat...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving to you! These tarts look like a wonderful way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving Val! I hope you and lil' Burnt Toast enjoy the festivities. I love ANY pie with butter (they're a little more indulgent aren't they?). The maple butter is a lovely sweet combo...lovely! (with a cuppa!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving! The tart looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a perfect dish for Thanksgiving.Great recipe Val.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that they're bite sized!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmm. I love butter tarts!!! One of my favorites when I was growing up. I need to make them for my girls. You keep jogging my memory of all of my favorite things growing up.

    I think also with your Thanksgiving I always get a little homesick and nostalgic for my childhood!!!

    Happy Thanksgiving Val!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you had a wonderful celebration. These tarts certainly are worth celebrating. I really enjoyed learning more about the different country's take on sweets, and I think if I tried this tart, I would cease talking and just eat, eat, eat it! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Thanksgiving, Val! Your butter tarts look heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there,Canadian Friend! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! Your butter tarts recipe sound so yummy! I will be making them today and bringing them to my German class tonight. I've been living in Germany for the past two years with hubby and there are times when I'm homesick (like today). Thanks for putting a smile on my face. :-) Have an awesome day! Greetings from Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there, Canadian Friend! Happy Thanksgiving! Your recipe for butter tarts sounds yummy and I will be baking them today. I will bring them to my German class tonight - my way of celebrating Thanksgiving here in Germany. I've been living in Germany for the past 2 years and sometimes I am homesick (like today). Thanks for sharing a classic and have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh! That really looks good. So perfect and autumn-y. I bet it would be great with a little hard cider, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated Thanksgiving wishes Val. I hope you and Erin had a lovely time. Thanks for giving the link as actually I did not know that in Canada you celebrated earlier nor did I know the difference. I have always said to my family that it's a pity we do not have a similar celebration in Greece as we should all be grateful for what we have. Thanks for the lovely pie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never come across these before but they sound ridiculously good, mmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Canadian Thanks Giving, Val! Those Butter tarts look amazing, girl! Great you spend the holiday with your daughter♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Thanksgiving! Sounds like you had a lovely weekend. These look very good and they seem easy enough. I think I will try them later in November when I have Thanksgiving here (my son's 2nd birthday falls on Thanksgiving here this year so we'll have a double celebration!).
    Thank you so much for sharing this sweet treat!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Thanksgiving. How could it not be perfect with that butter tart on the menu?

    ReplyDelete
  21. HAPPY THANKSGIVING VAL...Love the butter tart. Sounds delicious & indulgent!

    ReplyDelete
  22. well happy thanksgiving to you and all your fellow canadians! can i be an honorary canadian for the week so i can celebrate too? :)
    great, great, great tarts. they look delectable, and i'm sure they are.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey there, Canadian Friend! It's me,Rosa, from Germany. I just baked the butter tarts and they are so delicious! I'm eating a warm one now (couldn't wait). They don't sell prepared pie crust here so I made a butter crust, and I didn't have raisons so I used coconut instead (that's all I had in the pantry). Thanks for sharing a Canadian classic!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Thanksgiving to you all. It has been a gorgeous weekend with wine and more wine.
    Hope your weather improves Marie:D
    I hope your girtls get a chance to enjoy this classic Judy:D..back to your Canadian roots:D
    The hard cider is coming up Heather:D
    I can adopt you as an honorary Canadian Grace.welcome... eh:D
    I am glad you enjoyed the tarts Rosabela....they always remind me of home:D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Thanksgiving, Val! These little tarts look delicious! They remind me of pecan pie but with walnuts. Mmm, you can put maple syrup on anything and I'm in :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Thanksgiving! Butter tarts are my mom's favourite dessert so we always have to have these at every holiday celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Thanksgiving. These tarts are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Val I am sure you had a wonderful Thanksgiving especially with the addition of those butter tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my goodness Val this is one very amazing tart!! Great entry!!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Those maple butter tarts look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The tarts look absolutely delightful! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! I'd heard of these butter tarts before from Elizabeth of Blog from OUR Kitchen - I had innocently compared them to the English treacle tart (which really contains no trace of treacle) and ELizabeth set me straight :) They do sound heavenly!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.