30 November 2007

Lumberjack Hash


What a quick post this will be today. Not only is this the quickest potato dish ever but one I make often for breakfast. It is my idea of the ultimate hashbrowns. A recipe is not really needed. You make extra potatoes for the nights dinner and have them in the morning for breakfast sauteed in a pan with green peppers, onions, spices and a little garlic. I first tried what they dubbed Lumberjack Potatoes at a small restaurant and bakery north of here in the small community of Coldstream. I would drive miles for their cinnamon buns and home baked bread!!!

**Lumberjack Hash**

2 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 cups diced, cooked potatoes
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
¼ cup ham, diced
¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Heat oil and butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cook 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic; cook 3 minutes. Add potatoes, salt, pepper and ham; cook 16 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown, stirring occasionally.

Top with cheese, cook 2 minutes or until cheese melts.

Serves 4 for a delicious breakfast side.
Best Blogger Tips

15 comments:

  1. Val, I love hash dishes like this and I use the canned corned beef (real beef)...good hearty breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, maybe this will be my contribution next time my hubby makes me breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love leftover potatoes the next morning for breakfast! I always make extra baked potatoes when we have them for dinner and the next morning I use them. I usually just chop up and saute in a little butter, olive oil and salt and pepper. I will try your suggestion of peppers, garlic and onions! Yum-Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Valli, I noticed a few of our banners are squished. Is it just my computer ????

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven;t had this type of breakfast for many years since I was in England. In Greece it's impossible, I think it has to do with the climate. But it sounds nice for a light supper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I think that would make my husband very happy to have that for a weekend breakfast with his scrambled eggs! With the weather getting colder he seems less satisfied with just eggs and toast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valli, this looks soooo nice and yummy!!! Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am telling Marc to put on his red flannel shirt in the morning..
    wow this looks soooo good...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, hash! I love it - it so frugal, flexible, easy and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to jazz up potatoes! I like the addition of the garlic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dish looks really good, but I love the name. I like the word, Lumberjack. It makes me think of Paul Bunyan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Most often I don't put any meat in the potatoes at all. I juts have them on the side with a few pieces of back bacon Peter...buth the hash does sound good!
    I hope your husband will enjoy these "fry-ups" Deborah!
    I usally make extra potatoes as well Deb!
    My banner is as huge as always Deb!!! Don't know exactly why mine is so big and others are not?
    To have a heavy breakfast in Greece would not be thing to do Ivy, but here in ourt cold winters a nice big breakfast is very comforting!
    Yes your husband needs more carbs Mary.
    Thank you as always Gloria for your kind remarks!I consider you my bloging friend as well!
    You always make me laugh Marye!!!
    I lover hash too Ferdzy!
    Please give them a try guys!!! So simple and home spun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll have to make this for breakfast soon. We have a snow storm in the Valley. I love it. People around here don't care for snow, but being from East I need to see the snow. Have a good w-end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yumm, that's a good idea. I like leftover everything else except potatoes, so this will definite make it more palatable for me.

    My family and I have driven miles for lots of different foods. It was my father who started it it all because he believes that one should not compromise and treat our tummy nicely ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Had this for New Year's Day brunch, delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.